1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Staff governors - exactly who does that include?

Discussion in 'Governors' started by Ickar, Sep 8, 2011.

1. I've been reading my 'guide to the law' but still am not totally clear on who can be a staff governor. It says, "Both teaching and support staff paid to work at the school are eligible for staff governorship."
    Is the second category support teaching staff (ie so the positions are limited to teachers and TA's) or does support staff include premises staff (cleaner, caretaker) or lunchtime staff too?
    A staff govenor position will be coming up soon and I want to ensure all those who should be included are included!
    Many thanks.

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

GttL quotes the wording of the Regulations, a staff governor can be anybody paid to work at the school in any role whatsoever, so yes it includes office staff cleaners mid-day meals staff etc employed directly by the school. A member of the mid-day meals staff is one of the SGs on my GB. Everybody who is eligible to be an SG is also eligible to vote.

3. Thanks loads - much appreciated!