1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

staff governor - do you?

Discussion in 'Governors' started by sueemc, Dec 2, 2010.

1. sueemc

sueemc New commenter

I'm a new staff governor, we'd been ages without one and so thought I'd try to make a difference and all that.. (we're heading towards NTI)
    what a waste of time! can you resign after one meeting? I have to listen to the head ramble at school and in smt, now in governors too but with a slightly fuzzy,positive slant on it and dumbed down to meaningless drivel.
    Am really rather shocked.. do you do it? Does it get better? Surely this isn't it?

2. sueemc

sueemc New commenter

I'm a new staff governor, we'd been ages without one and so thought I'd try to make a difference and all that.. (we're heading towards NTI)
    what a waste of time! can you resign after one meeting? I have to listen to the head ramble at school and in smt, now in governors too but with a slightly fuzzy,positive slant on it and dumbed down to meaningless drivel.
    Am really rather shocked.. do you do it? Does it get better? Surely this isn't it?

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

What exactly did you expect?

4. You have to be strong willed and be prepared to stand up to the HT or chair of governors. If not, then you are wasting your time.

5. It all comes down to whether you want to make a real difference, or your just happy to slip back and let them get on with it.
    I don't mean this to sound too harsh, when I joined as a Governor there were SEVERAL months of meetings like this, but I perisisted as I wanted to help them change. Now we have a new Chair and things are very interesting.
    For me, it's really been worth it.

6. I think that the full governors meetings can be boring and rather long windedt. You should get onto the sub-committees. I find there extremely interesting. I am on several (I am lucky I have the time) but I can use my expertise. I am listened to and my opinion is appreciated. Give it a go. Don't give up so soon.

7. Hi
    I have been staff governor for about 9 months and I barely speak in the meetings at all - it seems such a waste of time me being there. No one asks my opinion on anything and I am not the kind of person who would speak up if I disagreed with something the HT said anyway (which I often do - I find he tells porky pies to the governors but they seem quite happy with what he is saying!!)- I think it would cause to much hassle for me to say anything - I don't want to jeopardise my job for the sake of a governors meeting.
    The HT takes about 20 mins to explain something that would normally take 5 mins and so our meetings are very long - usually gone 9.15ish before they finish - which is very long when you have been at school since 7.30am!!

8. I agree with Random175. Our Head actively encourages us to speak out at Governors' meetings, even if it is to disagree with something she has said. She has said that there is no point being on the governors unless you are prepared to challenge what is being said (when necessary) and I have done so on several occasions. I was voted in as a governor by the staff I represent, so I don't speak for myself, but raise points and issues that directly affect my colleagues. I still have my job and believe that I am well thought of in the school!!
    OP - I would give it a few more meetings to get the feel of how your Governing Body works and, perhaps, as you feel more confident you will feel more able to contribute to the meetings. If not, then maybe there is someone better placed to represent the staff in your school.