1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Staff dress code

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by BallyFinn, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Does anybody have a statement contained within one policy or another that they would be willing to share with me re staff dress code? To me it's almost coupled with code of conduct, especially when a couple of my TAs currently either look like ladies of the night or as if they are in weekend denim mode!!! Been a hard week and finding it hard to find the words to add to my Staff Handbook which I want to draw peoples attention to AGAIN on Monday!!
    Thanks,
    BallyFinn
    njewilliams@hotmail.com

2. Does anybody have a statement contained within one policy or another that they would be willing to share with me re staff dress code? To me it's almost coupled with code of conduct, especially when a couple of my TAs currently either look like ladies of the night or as if they are in weekend denim mode!!! Been a hard week and finding it hard to find the words to add to my Staff Handbook which I want to draw peoples attention to AGAIN on Monday!!
    Thanks,
    BallyFinn
    njewilliams@hotmail.com

3. Just a quick thought - do you need to draw it to everyone's attention again on Monday morning? Might a more direct specific word with the one or two in question be more appropriate - might sniper fire be more effective than a blunderbuss?

4. How about saying at a full staff meeting "I don't want any member of staff to wear denim at school please" for a start?
    Our head said it. Worked like a dream!

5. I wrote my own staff dress code and it is contained in our Staff Handbook. However, I can send you a copy of it if you would like.

For example: A guy was wearing t-shirts with his suits and thought that was fine but I continually reminded him that it wasn't on.

I had to give him a verbal warning in the end as he "hates ties." I wasn't interested if he hated ties or not it was the code.

6. Would be very grateful for a copy please. I'm the new HT and have lots of custom and practice things to approach but this is a real bother to me!! These woman are ten plus years older than me (I'm a very young HT!) and I find their attire so inappropriate!! Feel for our very devout Muslim parents! Very short shirts, long boots or jeans is not in any way what anyone should be wearing! I know I should probably approach head on but had to address so many things already, if it can be part of a document, may be a bit of a softer means of sorting it. Then if the hint isn't got I've a document and meeting minutes to refer to!

7. Please post pictures so we can see if you're just being jealous or not.

8. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

Should something like that be written in consultation with the staff, rather than just imposed. They might be more willing to take ownership of it and follow it if they have had input rather than it dictated from on high.

Have you thought about some of the reasons why people wear denim? Personally my long denim skirt is invaluable as it's very tough wearing fabric, not so necessary now I have modern desks, but a colleage who still has old desks keeps ripping her trousers on the corners of her desks (lift up lid desks), I bet if she were wearing some form of harder wearing fabric this wouldn't be happening!

What do you mean by long boots ballyfin? Anything that comes below the knee isn't really considered overlly long (i.e. not exactly thigh length) Do you know that the parents are offended by seeing boots? Should it be your job to stop the parents from seeing boots, when they could walk down the road in 'real-life' and see them too? Obviously anything shorter than knee-length is going to be too short for a skirt, but when worn with boots at least covers up the legs!

Not trying to be totally difficult, but don't forget that there are reasons why people wear things (and that staff should be comfortable in doing what they do!)

Also if I was suddenly told I had to wear a suit for work (i'm a lady) I would really come unstuck, as I would only be able to buy one in my price range, as the only shop I can shop in for clothes like that doesn't have them 'in' this season!

9. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Lead commenter

Why not have a dress code whereby everyone wears the school uniform.

An example might be:

Sweatshirt or T shirt with school logo.

Black trousers or skirts.

Black jacket with school logo (for when you go out and it's cold).

Black boots just above ankle (to protect ankles).

Everyone wears this get-up from the headteacher down to reception class.

The cook or chef could wear 'whites'.

Problem sorted.

10. I'm not being a stuffy old crow, I'm a 33yr old woman and I'm not being difficult but I think skirts that are just touching the rear end coupled with very high black leather over the knee boots or jeans and a low cut, tight fitting tshirt are appropriate!! At the end of the day, we are all professionals. I may choose to wear a suit, fine, but I expect my staff to wear something befitting of the position too! Can someone carry out all duties and the other things we do because we do as Primary school 'people' if they are in skirts that barely cover their modesty!!! And jeans look scruffy!!

11. trinity0097

I think you need to speak to people that are causing the big problems first and see if things improve, before imposing a 'policy'

12. As HT it is up to you to determine what is suitable dres for school and what is not. If it were me, I would speak to the staff concerned and explain what you expect and why. Then I would get together with my DHT and draw up a brief dress code for all staff to consider and offer their views on. This way you have made it clear in advance what you expect and then offered consultation. Take views into account, but remember the decision is yours.

13. gmf

gmf

Re: Post 8

Yes - impose a strict uniform - but don't forget to budget for the fact that the school will need to pay for (at least) two changes of uniform for each member of staff, and also provide changing facilities for those who choose not to come to school wearing their uniform...could be expensive!

Alternatively discuss with the staff - as fellow professionals - what THEY regard as suitable, and draw up suitable guidelines.

14. I'm right with you on this one. I'm a stuffy old crow, but I'm also a coward and asked the SENCO to talk to the TA who was constantly chewing in lessons!

15. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I say that staff should dress in a manner that will "inspire parents with confidence in their professionalism". That rules out too short, too low, too tight, too casual, too scruffy, too dirty . . .

It is also wise to remember that a Reception class or PE teacher will need to dress differently from a Maths teacher in KS3. Or a Headteacher!

16. I think that a woman in teaching should be encouraged to wear as little as possible, and be as revealing as possible.

Luckily, most don't need encouragemenet.

17. trinity0097

Interesting concept Theogriff, I do agree with you, however I'm going to throw this spanner in the works since it's Sat night (!!) - since at least half of the parents of the children I teach have never met me how I dress isn't affecting their decision in deciding whether I am being professional with their children!

18. I am a female teacher. I dress for comfort - first. I am often sitting on the floor with a group or kneeling at a table. I clean up sick, blood etc when needed to. At the end of the day I can be gluing, painting back drops etc.
    I get hit by a muddy football at break times and not too scared to join in if invitied !!.
    I break up fights with kids right up to Year 6.
    I get cuddles from the dirtiest and smelliest kids in the school.
    I will not where a suit but dress appropriately that lets me do my job. If I wanted a suit I would have worked in a bank

19. Please do NOT go down the road where the dress code is imposed on ALL just because of a small minority. I know it is the norm, but it pees us lowly teachers right off.
    Deal with it head on and speak to the individuals concerned...a private informal chat should do it.

20. I really can't believe what I'm reading on here!! I'm not DHT or HT - just a lowly Head of Faculty in a large comp, so I'm not in the position that some of you are in but for God's sake get a grip. If staff dress indecently and expose large amounts of bare flesh about various parts of their person, yes, you have a point. However, if you seriously think that you can impose arbitrary 'denim bans', you really do need to get out a bit more. As a Staff Governor at my school, I'd say it was for the governing body to have some input on the matter as well. I wear black/dark blue jeans and a smart open neck shirt for work with decent shoes; the fact that I don't have a tie round my neck alters nothing. I wear a tie for welcome/intake evenings and when I interview and apart from that, if my HT told me to wear a tie for work, I'd refuse.