1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Staff 'Don't stay late enough'.

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by straitwurly, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Hi everyone.

Our probationers have been told that staff at my school 'don't stay late enough', and that staying late every night will make a permanent post more likely. We start at half 8, and so are in well before that, and most staff don't leave until after 5 before going home to - would you believe it - work some more. We're also expected to attend evening events that start at 7pm.

I'm curious: over a week, how many hours are you IN school?

2. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Don't be blackmailed by this sort of b*llocks! Whether you get a permanent post depends on budgetary expediency; nothing more.

3. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Whoever is saying that is lying.

4. Thankfully I'm not a probationer, but it has been noticed that SMT go out to 'welcome the buses' after all pupils have arrived, therefore, in reality, to check on staff. Apparently, they also record when we leave, and have started asking who will attend after-school events so they can 'put enough seats out' (keep a record of staff who attend).

Absolutely shocking.

5. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

So, is it policy that newcomers have to earn a permanent post?

6. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I've always thought it might be interesting to challenge this sort of regime by making a flexible working request. Flexible working requests can be about when and where you work, not just about part-time requests, and I think anyone can make them now.

So you all put in a request to work on the premises from 8.30-4.30, and to complete any other work from home (with exceptions for parents evenings). They can hardly turn down the request. In a sense, all you're doing is requesting the terms and conditions you should have already; it might make the point, and it might make the governors realise what's going on.

7. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

What total rubbish. If the job gets done properly, they have no right to tell you how long to stay after school. Are you under STPCD? If so, then they cannot tell you to to be in school for more than 1265 hours a year. That makes about 6.5 hours per working day, which means an average finishing time well before 5.00.

8. chriszwinter1

Come on, Piranha. It's all about being professional and doing the job for the kids. [​IMG]

9. coppull

coppull New commenter

It will be good for your career development ! You might even receive a pay rise!!

10. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

The stupid are speaking in your school…. Do not listen to the stupid.

I'm curious how folk swivelling on their chair aimlessly just to 'prove' being in school until 7pm serves any beneficial purpose to a school….

11. Jolly_Roger1

Being told constantly that we have to 'put in the hours' is bad enough without being told whereabouts we have to put them in!

12. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Once… and only once did a head teacher utter those words in my presence.

I curtly informed them that some folk can do in 20 minutes what it takes another 2 hours to accomplish and that penalising for efficient accomplishment and quick cognition was pointless.

13. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

I remember being told to go home because I dared to stay in school for about 30 minutes when I first started teaching.

Now it seems like a who can wee up the wall the highest contest when it comes to working hours......

14. chriszwinter1

One headteacher I know takes the view that, if staff are still on the premises 30 minutes after the end of the school day, he asks them if they have homes to go to. The goodwill he creates is immeasurable.

15. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

An increasingly rare commodity in schools these days.

16. chriszwinter1

The HT concerns lives by the adage that, if he looks after the staff, then they'll look after the pupils, a practice which actually works.

17. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

A shocking example of 'presenteeism.' It should not matter how late staff stay after school beyond directed time and the 1265 (assuming you are not in Academy with different contractual obligations.)provided they are discharging their duties competently and professionally.

Some staff work better from home, some staff (like myself when I taught) work far more efficiently IN school (too many distractions at home like a settee to lie on etc! AND everything is 'at hand' in school.)

Someone ought to remind the OP's school about EU working regulations and the 48 hour maximum!

18. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Regardless of the rules, there are some who it suits to get everything done at school and leave later, and some who either want or need to be off asap and do their marking etc at home. Neither is more effective. My HoD was in the latter camp, and I was often the last person left in the department, as I didn't want to walk home with a pile of books. Still, Siegen, it would be nice to think that this made me more "professional"![​IMG]

19. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

That's appalling - though hardly surprising.

How and where people complete work around the school day is not the head's business. I like to work early/late in school because it means I never take work home. That suits me. Equally, there are people who need to leave at 3:30 to collect children etc, and they work after the kids are in bed.

I'll be honest, I hope these probationers have the sense to realise that this isn't a place they want to work.

20. Jolly_Roger1

Some SMTs encourage this being taken to ridiculous lengths, creating an ethos of not only being in school for 12 hours a day but spending most of the rest of the time on school work. Some 'climbers' at my last school would fire off emails at us, ostentatiously timed as being sent in the early hours of the morning. Whether the emails were actually sent then, or being delayed to give that impression, I don't know.

Our SMT, to show that it 'cared about work-life balance' were kind enough to open the school on Sundays, so that staff could go in to 'catch up', for those of us who had family commitments on Saturdays. Of course, if you went in over the weekend, you had to sign in and out, so your presence would be recorded, and brownie points accrued (or so the 'Cherry Blossomers' hoped).