1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Staff discount for children of staff

Discussion in 'Independent' started by EBC, Aug 9, 2019.

1. EBC

EBC New commenter

Hi,

Its good to be back on the forums again, never have time to get into it but this summer I've learnt lots.

Can I ask, if you know, what the, staff discount, or reduced fees are in your independent school for staff whose children go to the school.

I believe if can be anywhere between 66%-40%. My school is nowhere near those amounts. I've asked them to reconsider. Im happy at my school, for my child and me, but can't even imagine how ill afford the senior school part on just 20%.

Any advice on how to bring it up again?

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

50%. No access to further bursaries, though.
    If awarded scholarships in open competition, they get the name of scholar but again no extra discount.

Two approaches. One is to ask for a bursary - that's a personal arrangement between you and the school, and a one-off.
    The other is to negotiate for the whole staff - would help if you had union recongnition, which is the case in many schools, for collective bargaining. But do consider what impact this would have on the school's finances (which presumably you know about) and work out whether anything is achievable.

3. EBC

EBC New commenter

It would be for the whole school. Currently only two of us.

No union that I know of.

I started with the bursary, and I asked him to take it to the governors. Do you think I should try again? Maybe the Headteacher or write directly to governors?

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

The problem with a generous staff-children reduction is that although it might only be two staff at the moment, that could potentially change and end up being rather costly. I can see why some schools might prefer to have a more modest reduction, perhaps with the option of applying for a means-tested bursary, which would help out those who are the main earner.

(Presumably favouring an older interview candidate over the one with five young children might officially contravene discrimination rules, but would anyone be able to prove it?)

5. Boardingmaster

Boardingmaster New commenter

Our process is slightly complicated but you can expect roughly an 80% discount as a staff member. We also get quite a substantial allowance to send a child to a different independent school, though this is fully taxed.

6. snowfairy

snowfairy New commenter

I'm joining the private sector in September. My contract states that I can get 50% reduction on fees for up to a maximum of 2 children. Both mine are currently at a state primary which we're happy with but the fee reduction gives us options in the future.

A letter requesting that you are allowed to apply for a bursary doesn't seem unreasonable. Surely if your application is looked at with the same criteria that any other bursary is considered then you are not getting preferential treatment....... you could argue that its discriminatory to staff if you aren't allowed to apply for a bursary......

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

You believe incorrectly.
    It can be anywhere between 100% and 0%.

At our school it is nowhere near 40% either.

8. EBC

EBC New commenter

Yes of course, you're right.

I just wondered how other schools do it.

9. drvs

drvs Star commenter

What are people's views on the fairness of this benefit to staff who put their children in the school? It seems to me that they have a better package than staff who don't.

10. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Our staff shrug their shoulders and live with it.
    Yes they effectively get something like an extra £2000 a year salary.
    Yes they get to go and watch cricket matches and take their child home straight from there and so miss end of day duty.
    Yes they get time off when their child is ill.
    But then again they have all the hassle of being parents. :D

Mind you a few who have had daughters have moved on once their child became school age in order to take advantage of discounted fees. (We are all boys.)

11. EBC

EBC New commenter

Hmm, that worked when little one was in my key stage but not anymore! In fact, I think it's harder. Just about get to see a bit of sports day before I have to rush back.

I think it works both ways, I don't take advantage and my colleagues can see that.

12. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

On the one hand, perhaps. On the other hand, at one of my schools the only students who actually had brains were staff children, so I suddenly became all in favour...

13. EBC

EBC New commenter

Ah bless them. I always find that teachers children aren't always the smartest. Mine included! I always think it's because teachers don't really 'push' their children. They know what's important: that ultimately learning comes from a variety of forms, and as long as they are happy and enjoying school, they will learn and achieve at their own pace. My little one never gets special treatment because she's a child of staff.

Still wouldn't change it though, it's a great school for her.

14. Morena123

Morena123 New commenter

In international schools abroad it is pretty standard for staff children to receive entirely free places. Often to a max of 2 children but not always. At my school this effectively doubles some teachers' salaries if they have 2 kids in the school at around £15k each, as we are not taxed on this. It's a HUGE part of the package.

Uniform is reasonable at my school but lunches are crazy expensive!

The opportunity to give my kids this kind of education for free is a significant factor in why I teach abroad (though there are many others!)

On a separate note, I once worked in admissions for a nice prep school and was appalled that teachers received a 50% discount but not support staff, even those in senior positions. To make this worse, they also docked my wages when I missed 1.5 days when my toddler was in hospital (my husband also took 1.5 days off his job, not at the school, so I certainly wasn't taking the mickey or playing the 'mummy' card...). When I asked if a teacher would also lose pay for taking leave for a sick child, they said no.... Needless to say, I didn't last long there!

I know that is a separate thread entirely but now that I am teaching again I find myself fighting the corner of support staff who receive very different benefits from those offered to teachers, despite being essential to the running of the school.

15. EBC

EBC New commenter

Interesting. In my school everyone gets the same discount, caretaker, office, support and teachers.