1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Staff cost

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Lalex123, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Lalex123

Lalex123 Occasional commenter

hello everyone, I currently need to employ a part time teacher in my department but want to know how much it would cost per year so I can take the proposal to SLT.

I am thinking of working out coatings for an NQT (outside of London) and then also someone on UPS 3 to discuss the variation.

Thanks in advance!

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Don't you have an HR team who can work this out for you?

Minimum and maximum pay ranges for MPS and UPS are in STPCD if your school uses STPCD scales. Otherwise whatever pay scales are in your school's pay policy. Also any TLR you envisage.

That will only be the gross salary of the teacher though. Bear in mind that right now we don't know what the pay ranges will be in September, only what they are now in 2018/19.

Additionally the school will have to pay Employers National Insurance contributions and employers pension contributions. These are substantial. You can calculate them yourself, the rates are on gov.uk HMRC for NI and TPS site for pension. Or get HR to do it!

3. Lalex123

Lalex123 Occasional commenter

We don’t have a HR department but thanks for the advice

4. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Oncosts are usually about an extra 23% on top of the actual salary. This will be higher still with employer pension contributions increasing a lot in September. Whoever is involved in budget setting in your school will have software that can calculate this.