1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Staff communication - anyone got it right?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sulkydame, Jun 8, 2019.

1. sulkydame

sulkydame New commenter

One of the biggest problems I have as a senior leader is keeping everything communicated. I really try my best but I know I don't get it right all of the time and it can cause friction amongst staff. We all know how busy a day is and how sometimes, something that will only take a minute to do, actually doesn't get done - for a great number of reasons! So, my question is, how do you all communicate in your schools? How do you keep up to date with messages, events and diary dates for handing in data, SEN info etc. We have one staff meeting a week and a brief morning meeting each Monday. I don't want to overwhelm staff with meetings to update everyone so how do you do it? Suggestions/ideas will be greatly appreciated - thank you!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Going back many years, having time over lunch in the staffroom for staff to chat meant we were much more easily able to communicate so much and keep in touch.

5 minute briefings every morning before school was a method used in quite a few schools I worked in and the secretary made notes and put them on a notice board for anyone on duty to check. Meant we had to keep it short and to the point about anything relevant to that day, as the bell for registration ensured a prompt finish. :) Meant we didn't always need a weekly staff meeting and staff appreciated this.

We used to have a calendar up in the staffroom for staff to check quickly anything important happening that day,which would impact on the timetable e g any visiting speakers, changes to timetable, events etc. Diary dates ,such as last date for handing in of data /reports etc were given at the beginning of a half-term, so staff could stagger their work appropriately.

By the by putting messages in pigeon holes or sending vast numbers of emails, I found to be counter-productive when staff were too busy to check.

sulkydame likes this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

We get a sheet emailed each week with all the events and any relevant diary dates for the next fortnight. We also get the entire term's dates at the start of term and conscientious people write them all in their own diaries then. People like me read the fortnight thing and so know what's what that way.
    But for those who don't bother doing either, we have briefing on Monday morning where someone from SLT goes through it and highlights anything notable.
    I have questioned the need for the briefing, given we are sent the diary every week and a hard copy is on the wall in the staffroom and each day's events are on the whiteboard. But apparently 'not everyone reads them and somethings there is something extra.'

People who like to complaint still complain they aren't told anything. But they complain about everything, so no SLT should take note of that kind of thing.

Lara mfl 05 and sulkydame like this.
  4. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

We have a morning briefing at the beginning of the week plus a weekly staff meeting. Important dates are emailed regularly and the week is up on a whiteboard in the staff room. There is an online diary which isn't used much and a paper diary in the school office which is well used.
    But people still struggle with lack of communication - think they always will in schools!

5. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Established commenter

We share important news via email and updated timetables etc through Google Drive

6. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

We get a schedule of the forthcoming week sent out via email on a Friday. It’s pretty well all on the calendar, but shows clearly what’s happening that week day by day.
    There’s a whiteboard in the staff room and the deputy head writes the date on that every morning with any important reminders or notices.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.