1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Staff checking toilets

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by deicide, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Can they make staff go into pupils toilets on duty?

Our Head says we are contractually obliged to do this( I cannot see it anywhere in my contract). I am very uncomfortable going into pupils toilets on my own.

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Ask your head if you can have some training in toilet checking.... :p

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Presumably you are not checking toilets, but checking the behaviour of pupils in the toilets.
    And if a member of staff is reluctant to go in alone, just imagine a timid pupil - so do you think that there might be poor behaviour? If so, even more important that a member of staff goes in.
    I totally agree that you should not go into the opposite gender toilets. Males into male toilets, females into female toilets at secondary level.
    Have you discussed with colleagues how behaviour in the toilets can be checked and controlled without any member of staff feeling uncomfortable about it? Would it be possible to have a team of two checking them? Have a chat with someone else, you might get some good suggestions.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar at 2pm on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com

4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

From a workload agreement point of view if you wanted to challenge this direction you could do so from the angle or 'does this action require the skills of a teacher'....

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Possibly leading, of course, to the need to appoint more ancillary supervisory staff, requiring cuts to be made in other parts of the budget, possibly leading to loss of a teacher - all because someone suddenly doesn't want to stick their head round the door and check that kids are behaving themselves, as teachers have been doing since time immemorial...

6. If I'm on duty, I just think it's part of my duty.
    A couple of times when I haven't been on duty, I've been 'summoned' into the toilets as I've passed because someone has soiled themselves (I teach primary in case there was any doubt!) and I've inwardly rolled my eyes but c'mon, it's our job!

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL Lilybett, lucky you! I generally get summoned (my classroom is opposite) because someone has flooded the place or blocked sinks or other such nonsense. I always want to reply 'like I care!', but actually I dutifully sort it out.

I don't go to check as such, there isn't a general need to do so in our school. But if there is a ridiculous amount of noise or silliness coming from the toilets I will stick my head round the door and glare. I don't care if it is male or female, but I am primary these days. When in secondary I used to knock on the boys' door and open it slightly and yell...! Always worked.

8. i check the toilets when i'm on duty. it is my duty to throw out trouble makers and the groups that hang round in there intimidating younger/smaller students. i wont go into toilets of the other gener, and i stand in the doorway where i can clearly be seen from the corridor and i never look into toilet cubicles. toilets are part of the school and need supervising just like any other part of the building.

9. Thank you Middlemarch for writing exactly what I was thinking. Hope this is the most serious workplace dilemma being faced by the original poster - and I envy you if that is the case.

10. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

I agree entirely with the point about looking at the toilets. Another good source of information would be supply teachers: they too can tell you a great deal, and we wouldn't need Ofsted a minute longer.