1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Staff changing for PE?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by potplant, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Finally we see eye to eye. My teacher used to do the lesson in her long summer skirt and just stand at the side and say what to do.
    I blame her for my lack of sporting ability.

2. Just got back to this post - Wow!!!! I only asked a simple question!!!!

3. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

I think I must have taught Milgod PE.

4. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I'm reviving this old thread because i'm the PE coordinator at my school and ive been asked to send an email to staff reminding them that we are expected to wear appropriate clothing for PE. The most embarrassing part is I think it might be in reference to myself! I am a firm believer in that you should wear whatever you need to in order to demonstrate whatever you are teaching. Today we were doing dance so I wore trainers, leggings and a sort of T shirt dress which I thought was fine and I was able to be completely active in demonstrating the dance moves we were doing. However, this email arrived not long after my lesson!So, my question is, do we wear clothing for demonstration purposes or to 'set an example'? If the latter, what example is it that we are setting? If the former, what clothing IS appropriate? I detest trackies and live in leggings - surely leggings and trainers are ok to demonstrate most PE lessons?!

5. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

I see no issue with leggings. Isn't that what professional dancers wold wear to train? Some of my kids wear them instead of track suit bottoms too. And trainers are exactly what's expected surely? What you wear on the top is less relevant IMO, as long as you are free to move, sounds like you were.

I have to confess I teach PE wearing whatever I'm wearing, often don't decide until the day whether I'm going to do it (if its wet outside for example). Guilty of teaching in pumps and uggs! I often wander around the hall in just tights no shoes (would feel uncomfortable going barefoot as my legs would be out....) to teach dance/gym. But outdoor PE I've never once brought trainers.

I teach infants so no real hygiene reason they should get changed (they often run around far more at break than in PE anyway). I have no TA on PE days so can't I change unless at break. I don't really want to sit around wearing trackies all day!

6. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Thanks for the reply, I feel the same as you. As long as you are free to move and demonstrate where appropriate it shouldn't matter what we wear!

7. Oh dear!
    If I can be bothered to get changed, I do. I always take my shoes off as I don't want to tread on small children's bare feet. My issue is that unless I leave the children on their own, I have to leave them to get changed, so I either stay in my 'uniform' for the day, or my PE kit. I would rather stay in standard wear. And as I'm not actually taking part in the PE session, other than the odd demo, I can justify this.