1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Staff changing for PE?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by potplant, Mar 21, 2010.

1. How many teach barefoot though? That appears to be our sticking point.

2. I don't teach bare foot. Wouldn't have a problem doing so, just never seen a need to. I have outdoor (ie can get muddy) trainers and indoor (can be worn outside but clean) ones.

3. I don't usually teach barefoot although i have done in the past. The argument goes along the lines of example setting..... although more relevant for older kids than primary I'd have thought...

4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

as in some schools the hall is also the dinning hall i find it distateful that althoughthe slops have been cleaned off the floor i wouldnt like to be barefoot on it...besides if children have foot diseases what is to stop others picking it up?
    Except for gymnastics and possibly dance i dont think children should be bare feet ever i pe.
    I also dont think i have to change as i have no intention of dancing,running etc in pe....chilrden do that.i instruct.....even the instuctors you sometime see in schools dont run or sweat.......they walk and so dont get sweaty.

5. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Well. On days when HT is in school (few and far between) I go through the motions of changing into the 'go faster' stripe trackies and trainers. When HT is 'out' I stay in normal clothes.
    If I have PE first thing in the morning, I will pitch up in floppy trackie type wear and mooch around in that all day, to accommodate a full portion of buns.
    If PE is happening inside, there is NO WAY ON THIS EARTH that I am going to go barefoot alongside the pondlife that is in my class. Plus the Hall floor is cleaned about once a decade and they eat lunch in there. Yuck Factor 9.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

No way on this planet would I go barefoot in the hall, nor expect my year 5s to do so. We have PE first thing int he afternoon and though the hall is swept after lunch that is all it is, certainly no attempt at mopping or any such thing. It would be much more dangerous to be barefoot than in the trainers that we do wear.
    One of my class has severe athletes foot and another has long standing verrucas. They cannot be barefoot, but at the same time if they have trainers it is dangerous for the others to be so.
    I have had two verrucas that are no trouble, but are unsightly, left over from being barefoot when I last taught swimming two years ago. No way am I risking the expense of, useless, treatments and such unsightly lumps again.
    I demonstrate things like a stance for javelin or starting position for long jump, but that is all and it is perfectly easy to do it in my normal clothes. Not at all sure why anyone should despair over it.

7. Our hall floor is similarly disgusting, not to mention dangerous (not unusual to slip on an old bit of mas/veg left over from lunch).
    Not sure why some of you feel you need to be in PE kit 'to set an example'? Those of you who stay in it all day are surely just setting the example that you don't need to change before/after PE? The people who change and then change back (although not sure how you find the time) - are you actually taking part in the PE?! I don't need to wear a tracksuit to demonstrate a couple of throws or jumps or strikes. If I was taking part in a full session, as the children are, that would be different, but a large part of my role in teaching PE is simply to be an observer of what they are doing. I don't feel I need to wear special clothes for that.

8. I do change. My PE slot is after lunch so I change at the end of lunch time and then change back at afternoon play (Year1). I do get very active during PE so I see the need to get changed. Some teachers at my school really don't get active so they don't change. As for bare feet... I do sometimes take my socks and shoes off to model things in gym/dance. Our hall is always clean though and is not used for dinner time. If our hall floor was grubby I wouldn't go barefoot and I wouldn't ask the kids to either!

9. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

We have a sports hall so the kids do go barefoot for dance and gymnastics. But they wear trainers for invasion games and the like - otherwise you find too many trodden-on toes!
    I do change for PE, particularly when it's dance or gymnastics. I like to demonstrate things like cartwheels or forward rolls and I'm a bit of a dancer myself, so I enjoy demonstrating properly. I'll change the break before the lesson and change the break after the lesson. It doesn't take long.

10. oldsomeman

if you are barefeet and trainers what is to stop soiling arriving in on trainers..especailly as if you use the aforesaid on grass as children dont clean off any mud or dirt.
    I can understand they reasons for barefoot n some activities, but tnot that the teacher has to, unless it was a prinstine hall and only say white soles where allowd in there..

11. I wear a sports kit on my PE day. I have to confess that I stay in it all day though. I probably should try and change after, particularly after the indoor sessions as I'm more active during these than the outdoor ones.
    I don't go barefoot during indoor sessions, mostly as I hate being barefoot, but like many others the hall is also used for lunch. Luckily I have dance sneakers and jazz shoes that I can wear instead. They have a flexible sole and are ideal for demonstration, especially my jazz shoes.

12. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I wear my PE kit all day and my hygiene is fine thank you very much. I need to be able to wear PE kit to demonstrate properly (can't see how others can manage a proper demonstration in their normal clothes) but I don't sweat so much that I need to change. I demonstrate, I don't do every activity with them the whole time.
    I wear my trainers for indoor PE but the children have to go barefoot. I don't think they should because the hall is still nasty IMO after lunch but it's the school policy that they do.

13. Milgod

I bet you have no intention of modelling writing either? Or showing how to saw in DT? Or showing how to work out a maths problem? You just instruct the children to do that . . . .

14. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Milgod, *** shut up! You're only the bloody PE coordinator, not the Prime Minister.
    I get changed when someone's watching, doesn't make me a better PE teacher, does it? As long as the blighters are actually moving, that cuts it for me. Demonstrate??? What exactly would I be demonstrating?

15. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

This sums it all up for me.
    Milgod, if you worked in my school I'd lock you in the PE cupboard. Barefoot.

16. ...and we'd throw away the shoes.

I am honestly thinking you are a bit of a silly cow.

17. I am sure you would not knowingly want to come across in the way that you are, Milgod - so I retract the silly comment. But honestly - is there any need to be so precious? We all do the best job we can. Good luck in your dealings with colleagues.

18. Miligod gives every young teacher a bad name. That uppity presumptious attitude is horrific as is the idea that everyone must do the same (what she says) otherwise they are doing a bad job is ridiculous and might I suggest the probelm with education.
    What annoys me is the focus on the teacher rather than the learning which is incorrect. In the same way that I can teach an all singing all dancing lesson using every resource going in my maths lesson but this doesnt automatically make it a good lesson! The learning is the important part and people have lost sight of that. That same maths lesson can be taught through chalk and talk and as long as the children make progress then it is good. - something that people have lost sight of.
    Which brings me back to PE - I don;t need to be in a tracksuit rolling, jumping etc for the children to learn well. I can 'teach' - (don't forget that is the purpose and you dont always need to 'model' to teach) a good lesson without getting changed.
    PS do you also do the homework and hand it in on time....you know to set a good examplE!!!!

19. Milgod

Firstly, i'm not the PE co-ordinator at all. I look after History.
    Secondly, i'm a male not a female last time I checked.
    Thirdly, you lot need to stop taking things to heart so much. I don't think my way is the be all and end all but I do think a teacher should be willing to demonstrate how to do something in PE just like they would in a 'classroom' subject. I also don't think you need to model everything, but the attitude by some of you shows that you barely do at all.
    The person who changes when they are being watched just shows they know it is better to change otherwise they would stick to their beliefs and not bother.

NQT2004, I agree there are many problems in Primary education. The lack of knowledge by some teachers is quite amazing. Those ridiculous tests we needed to pass in our PGCE were pointless. If I remember correctly we only had to get 60% and they weren't exactly hard.

I do apologise if you took offence I was only trying to give my opinion that certain ways are better than others, just like some were giving theirs.
    With regards to the age thing (again). I might not have taught PE 20 years ago but I did go through it. I can only base my experiences on that, which weren't good at all.

20. oldsomeman

you obviosly did not have the teacher who got changed then....or who didnt demonstate to you correctly! [​IMG]