1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Staff changing for PE?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by potplant, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Wondering what everyone out there does for PE changing - some staff at my school don' t bother at all, some full change, some in between.

Some change shoes (trainers), some don't bother, some have bare feet...

What's the common approach?

2. CB123

CB123 New commenter

Our school is similar
    Personally I believe you should get changed ( which i do) as its giving a good role model of what to where and why we change

3. I change - trackies and t shirts with trainers. Some staff take socks and shoes off for indoor pe but never really been up for that. Subject of some debate at our place at the moment though!! PE co-ord is keen on "consistency" and "example setting".....>!

4. I change my shoes for safety reasons, but as I'm not actually 'taking part', I don't feel I need to change all my clothes. Some others at my school do though.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I don't change as we have our PE lesson in the first half of the afternoon and I can't be doing with the 'but you are allowed to keep your kit on Miss' when we get back and I make them change.
    Our other PE lesson is swimming and NO I most certainly do not get my swimsuit on!!
    If I was doing it to set an example, should I also wear school uniform? Only flat shoes? Etc etc. They are doing PE, I am teaching it.

In our school most staff who wear kit for PE lessons wear it for the whole day. This is not a good hygeine example in my opinion.

6. Yeah.... I see your point!

But isn't there the safety aspect of wearing your normal shoes/clothes for a pe session - demos etc.?

7. too true...but it contradicts your later...
    We do the same...I've tried getting changed before/after, but usually end up with PE on days that I have duties on, so have little time for changing...nor do I wish to spend valuable break time doing so, especially as we only have 10 mins and it can take 5 of them to get the last of the kids out of the door in the first place!

8. Do you not even change footwear? It sounds a safety issue to me!

9. In fact also an issue of setting a good example to the class!!! [​IMG]

10. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Varies in our school. If people wear tracker they tend to wear all day as only a small toilet to change in, not hygienic and always busy at break times. I change into trainers for outside and bare feet inside, but I only teach FS KS1 so dont tend to get as involved. Would wear trackers for KS2 if I expected to get involved with a match etc and because it is more physical.

11. Yeah I think that changing or removing footwear should be a minimum.
    Our PE co-ord is trying to set the standard that all staff are barefoot for indoor pe (as the kids are) but its meeting with mixed reaction. I'm personally not that bothered either way but some people feel strongly!

12. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

In 30 years of teaching the most ive ever changed is shoes.and then to complaints by the kids lol
    i dont run in pe although in some indoor sessions i do show some things and so perhaps i need to change footwear.However with my feet as they are now i definitly wouldnt be bare footed....however, they dont give me a tTA to give me time to change
    they dont expect the TA to change,they often let children with no pe kit get involved(not my choice)as easier than then sitting out..or if outside, them wandering away.
    As supply i now rarely take pe and dont come equiped for it as i rarely get to teach it...however when younger and fitter did get involved in games.......wouldn't dare at my age...

13. comenius

comenius New commenter

The days I have PE I come to school in trackies and trainers. Most staff do this, though a couple don't get changed at all! Our TA's all come in trackies and trainers too.

14. As PE Co-ordinator , I must admit I dismay when I see staff trying to teach physical exercise in their normal clothes and the token pair of trainers - what do you mean you're not doing the exercise - well then you're not teaching it just showing it ?
    No doubt will get slammed now but if we expect the children to change and wear PE kit, then we should be setting an example? Up to individual if they wear it all day - personally I love it!!
    And yes I teach swimming in my sports kit not my swim suit !

15. No, I think you are right, staff should set the example. It's just the footwear issue that's a bit controversial - do you think trainers are ok for indoor pe for staff?

16. Yes I think trainers fine - yes I can understand the hygiene aspect of wearing outdoor shoes in the hall - but hope they are clean !!!

17. NicoleK

NicoleK New commenter

Our school policy is that we wear full PE kit for outdoor PE (we wear it for the whole day) and for indoor PE, we can just go barefoot with normal clothes. Most staff wear full PE kit for that too though to be honest.
    At least it means 2 days a week of not having to to think about what to wear! Plus PE kit is super comfy.

18. s1oux

s1oux New commenter

Controversial but...
    I don't like PE simply because of all the changing. The kids come in having run themselves ragged for an hour at lunch and then have to change for a game of rounders. Half the time I dont see the point.
    I wish we could just get on and do it - "put your trainers on and lets go."

19. I wouldn't teach PE in 'normal' clothes but haven't time to get changed during the day so go to school in PE kit on those days. Hate wearing it though [​IMG] not at all flattering for those of us short in stature!

20. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

I never understand why schools have in my opinion weird shoe rules in p.e. Why is acceptable for children to have assembly in a hall with their outdoor shoes on and then do p.e. in the next session in barefeet in the same hall?
    We discussed this recently in my school with a county advisor and came to the agreement that children will take their shoes off for mat work or climbing frame. But in other lessons children will wear their plimsoles.
    As for staff we have a mixture of non-changing, shoe changing and full kit. I try to change into my kit when I remember and on the days I do, I feel like I teacher better p.e. lessons. But I really don't like not being able to change back out.
    We have also been discussing the idea of the school providing staff with a p.e. kit.