1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

staff bullying / unfair conditions

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by starfluf, May 8, 2011.

1. hi guys thanks for replies
    It's not a very subtle way to let a faculty know that though is it? Surely an internal interview leading to external after is fairer? Also it's been 'explained' that we have some spare money and that's why it's externally advertised.....
    Should we be getting support from our union reps? Post superb show, we should be on a high instead of made to feel inadequate?!

2. oops meant Mayor - typo sorry!

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

How so? If there is no chance of the HoD getting the post it is a waste of everyone's time to bother with internal interviews. It isn't 'fair' to raise and then dash someone's (unrealistic) hopes.

What sort of support would you like from a union rep? There isn't a problem. A school needs a HoF and so advertises for one.

I think you just need to lick your wounds, hold your head up high and get on with applying for the post and proving you are the very best candidate. Or supporting the person who does. And then of course supporting the successful applicant.

4. Ok - objectively i understand what you're saying. However i know the internal candidates and believe they'ed do an excellent job. One even got to top 3 them was told she didn't show her best on the day?! So readvertised.... And neither have been put through. I am an NQT and have no HoD. There are other politics at play here too. In my opinion it's the line manager who doesn't meet with HoDs and doesnt support rather than our faculty that's at fault
    Thanks

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

That is life. You need to be the best on the day. I applied for an internal post recently and know I'd do a good job, and so did my colleagues. However I also know I screwed up on the day and there was another candidate who didn't. She got the post. That is life. No point sulking over it.

If you are an NQT then you can have no clue at all what it is like to be a HoD or a HoF. I know that sounds dreadfully patronising and I'm sorry for it, but it is true. When I first became head of maths, from being second in dept, I was astounded and overwhelmed by all the things I needed to get done. I remember sobbing in the head's office one day as I was clueless about how to prioritise and get things done. Obviously I learned how and got on well and did a great job, but it was mad at first.

Leave the senior staff at your school to make the decisions and stop worrying about it. Enjoy being an NQT and enjoy next year even more.