1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Staff blamed for Covid outbreak at Bacup primary school

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Sep 17, 2020.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-54161544

A head teacher has blamed staff for an outbreak of Covid-19 at his school after they attended a party.

Eight members of staff at Bacup Holy Trinity Stacksteads CE Primary School have contracted Covid-19 since the party on 5 September, John Aspin said.
    Another three, who did not attend, have since been infected and the whole school has now had to close.

Staff "jeopardised hard work" to keep the school safe, Mr Aspin said.

In a letter to parents published on the school website, Mr Aspin said staff at the Lancashire school took an "ill-advised risk" when they attended a party at the home of a former colleague.
    He said he had "spent many hours over the weekend" trying to work out why so many staff were becoming ill as he had not been told about the gathering.

"Had I been aware of the event I would have told them that they should not attend because of the risks, but sadly I was not informed", he said.

He spoke of his disappointment "given the amount of time and effort that I, and others, have put into planning the safety procedures for the return of children to the school".

The staff, who did not break any government restrictions, "failed to appreciate the bigger picture" of the spread of the virus, he said.

"I know each will be genuinely regretting the decision they took to attend what last year would have been an enjoyable event, but in the current situation was an ill-advised action to take, given their responsibilities to the children of the school and to their colleagues."

Mr Aspin apologised to parents for the "error of judgement".

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  2. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

Why? They broke no laws.

3. colacao17

colacao17 Lead commenter

It's the mixed messages.
    If it's safe for me to be in a stuffy room with 30 adolescencts for 5 or 6 hours a day, every day of the week, it surely can't be more risky for me to be in the company of a dozen adults for a couple of hours over the weekend.
    They oblige us to do one and tell us not to do the other.

(Trying to imagine exactly what he meant when he "said he had "spent many hours over the weekend" trying to work out why so many staff were becoming ill as he had not been told about the gathering." )

vannie, Laphroig, agathamorse and 4 others like this.
  4. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Sounds to me he's annoyed as he wasn't invited. :D

5. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Any excuse to tell staff what to do or not in their own time if you ask me... the mixed messages are glaringly obvious and makes the HT look rather daft for suggesting it could be prevented.

6. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

Does he have proof that the party was the source?

His letter to parents about it was pretty 'ill-advised' too.

7. rararasputin

rararasputin Lead commenter

Glad I don't work there, what a lovely supportive Head :rolleyes:

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Not ok to tell parents that.
    Fine to gently rebuke the staff concerned individually and privately, but not to openly blame teachers to parents.

nervousned, Marshall, Jamvic and 2 others like this.
  9. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

My grandsons started school on the 7th. They lasted four days. The youngest caught a cold (surprise surprise, it happens every year with new intake) but daughter was told both had to stay off for a fortnight. Neither could be tested. Now a kid in the eldest boy's class has tested positive, whole class off as a "bubble". What is the f***ing point in having them in school at all?

10. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Quite.
    This was completely predictable.
    The whole thing.

11. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

The parents are so shamelessly encouraged to be suspicious of the teaching staff that I expect there will be several parents who will be suspicious of the HT's abilities. He's actually pitched it very low.
    Hoisted by his own wotnot.

btw @nomad there is already another very happening thread on this story in Dilemmas

nervousned likes this.
  12. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

What an awful HT. I think ours would have been invited!

13. Sally006

Sally006 Lead commenter

The blame game begins.

14. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Doubt he'll be invited in future now, either ....

15. install

install Star commenter

The HT is seemingly jumping to conclusions. And maybe frustrated - but has handled this badly by blaming a school closure on those who are ill. As much as I feel some sympathy, the employees broke no law and I think the HT needs to publicly apologise in another letter.

The school may well lose those staff now. Would any member of staff stay when they had seemingly been publicly told off in such an awful way? Of course they wouldn’t and others might opt to leave too less they fall foul in the next letter to parents.

I will never forget a school where a ht use to put up on the staff room wall a list of those who were most ill. At the top was the teacher who was ill the most and at the bottom was the teacher who might have been ill for a day.

Would the accused staff in turn be allowed to write a letter to the parents regarding the HT’s behaviour if they found it troubling? Again, of course not and it would be wrong to ‘wash one’s dirty linen in public’. Anyone who begins with ‘I have always tried to be straight and honest.....’ may find themselves being accused of not being so.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  16. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Or even told about it.

EmanuelShadrack and Scintillant like this.
  17. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Lead commenter

so did not do anything wrong. School teachers are not required to limit and restrict their personal lives beyond what the rest of the population have to do. If this gathering conformed to current restrictions, they were completely within their rights.

If those rules were not safe for the general population, including teachers, then they should have been stricter.

Not the teachers in the wrong, in the slightest.

18. shakes1616

shakes1616 Established commenter

I thought it was no more than 6 now. The party had 8 it says.

19. burajda

burajda Star commenter

install likes this.
  20. install

install Star commenter

How would the HT feel I wonder if one of those seemingly ‘named, shamed and blamed’ ill staff now ends up in intensive care, or worse dies? It hasn’t been thought through properly. Not good for anyone, whatever their role, to blame ill staff ever and to make it so public too. Morale may will be at an all time low now for the healthy and the ill.

And what happens to staff who will be ill in the future ? They may feel pressurised to go to work ill.