1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Staff asked to use their personal mobiles to phone students...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by WMFanClub, Jun 1, 2020.

1. WMFanClub

WMFanClub New commenter

Hi,

I had a quick look around and I think this is the best place to post my question/concern.

I work in a small secondary school. Our school has been closed since Boris advised thus, and we have been working from home. We are gradually returning (part time) to sort classrooms, and make 'video' calls to students. We have a system in place whereby a list is made of students NOT SEEN in the video calls for the day. These students are then telephoned by staff members, to check on their welfare.

My concern is that we have been asked to make these calls using our personal mobile phones, whilst we are at home. I have yet to be added to the rota to make calls, but it is imminent. I have been advised by a colleague that "it is ok" to use our own phones, without blocking our numbers. This means students, and their families and friends, will have our mobile numbers.

I am not ok with this. I intend to 'block' my number using the prefix 141 prior to dialling a student's number. But one of my colleagues said the students will not answer if no mobile number is displayed on screen. Some of my colleagues are making calls with their numbers freely displayed.

I believe giving our numbers so openly to students and their families leaves us open to all manner of problems. I want to stick to my guns, but I fear reprisals (it is that sort of school).

Any advice please?!

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Oh dear, my phone is - lost / broken / stolen / lent to an aged parent or relative / requires a new battery / other. Delete as applicable.

3. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Can't you make the calls on the days you are in school?

tall tales, Pomza, steely1 and 3 others like this.
  4. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

No, no and thrice no.

Cannot believe you are bring told to do this.

If there is a rota the school should buy enough phones for those on the rota.

tall tales, Marisha, Lalad and 4 others like this.
  5. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

You shouldn’t be doing it on a personal device.

These are unfamiliar times, and you have to make a call whether you push not doing it or not. For me, TAs and admin staff ought to be doing it, and from school ideally on school land lines. After all, you’re teaching!

Certainly block the number. Whether or not they answer isn’t your problem

Marisha, Pomza, madcatlady and 5 others like this.
  6. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

no, don't - email them instead.

7. Owleyes00

Owleyes00 New commenter

Complete breach of safeguarding there. We have been making calls using personal devices and withholding the number using 141. Your colleagues are right some people don’t answer but I leave a voicemail and the next time I call they usually do if they are the sort of parent who would want to speak. You will struggle to get hold who don’t normally engage regardless.

tall tales, Marisha, Pomza and 3 others like this.
  8. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Does the school pay your mobile phone contract? If the answer is 'no' then that's the answer you give to your school (add reasons from post 2 above if you want). And if you DO get coerced into phoning you MUST block your number, for your own protection.

By the way, what does your Union say? I hope you have told them.

Marisha, strawbs, agathamorse and 3 others like this.
  9. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Not OK.

Anecdotally, a (stupid helicopter) parent emailed me yesterday asking for a call. I refused on common sense professional grounds and she had a huff with me because "other teachers have used their own phones to call" and then lodged a complaint :rolleyes:

ajrowing, Marisha, madcatlady and 2 others like this.
  10. Owleyes00

Owleyes00 New commenter

Also, even aside from the safeguarding concerns, we had issues at a school I worked at a few years ago where teachers gave parent helpers their numbers for school trips. They found themselves getting texts about homework on the weekends!

Marisha, Pomza, madcatlady and 2 others like this.
  11. ridleyrumpus

This lodging complaints is the modern scourge of teaching. Complaints sent on the slightest perceived slight.

Marisha, Pomza, madcatlady and 2 others like this.
  12. ridleyrumpus

Exactly though to be honest that is the least of the problems you expose yourself to.

Still cannot believe people are effectively giving parents and pupils their phone number.

Marisha, Pomza, Catgirl1964 and 3 others like this.
  13. baitranger

baitranger Senior commenter

Get a free sim and use that in your phone when phoning students. Throw it away later.

14. mbee1

mbee1 Occasional commenter

Check the phone system in school. if it's a relatively up to date digital system you may be able to download an app that lets you call using that system. If the student gets the number it will appear as the schools number.

Pomza, agathamorse and ridleyrumpus like this.
  15. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Is this a 'new school initiative' to 'outsource expenses'? Bloody check!

We had something like this years ago, when we form tutors were supposed to phone the parents of students absent at morning registration. Finding time to do this during the day was difficult enough, and mostly pointless, as most parents were not at home, or could not answer calls while at work.

It was suggested to us that we contact parents in the early evening! Most of us thought 'stuff that'! The few that took this 'advice' elicited complaints, as some parents, who 'did not like having their evenings disturbed'.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  16. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Another annoyance is the records of mobile numbers are seldom up to date, as some parents change numbers and proividers frequently.

Marisha and agathamorse like this.
  17. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

Definitely withhold your number. If you have an iPhone, you can block it in the ‘phone’ bit in settings.
    We have put out a message to parents saying ‘you may be called by a withheld number’ so they know.

18. Penguin47

Penguin47 New commenter

19. Dorsetdreams

Dorsetdreams Occasional commenter

In my place, phoning a student from your own mobile wold have you out of a job.

tall tales and Marisha like this.
  20. siege

siege New commenter

I don't own a mobile - would not be able to do it
    I would never ever contact by phone without second member of staff present, too - subjected to a torrent of abuse then an accusation when calling once in distant past, using school landline. Communication now is ALWAYS by email