1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Staff accommodation in Oman

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by claytie, Oct 17, 2018.

1. claytie

claytie New commenter

What should one expect from a decent school, there, for a family? I am comparing with SE Asia-type and Dubai school funded accommodation.....

2. sparklesparkle

sparklesparkle Established commenter

Sorry to jump on your thread but are you thinking about the school that is currently advertising? If so, does anyone know what salary range they might offer?

3. LCass

LCass New commenter

Teaching couples at my school were housed in 3-bed apartments or 2 to 3-bed villas. We got lucky and ended up in a 3-bed villa, which I absolutely loved. Small garden, rooftop terrace, more space than we could use all on a beautiful compound. Sure, the kitchen had an interesting colour scheme, but that was easily forgiven.
    The flats people were housed in were beautiful and quite modern.

4. claytie

claytie New commenter

Did you get the provided accommodation after the first year of your contract , too? If not, did you get a housing allowance? Thanks for your reply.

5. LCass

LCass New commenter

We had the option to stay in the accommodation provided (most staff did) and get or pay the difference from the allowance. We paid a bit extra in our first place(about GBP 100) but nothing in the villa. Some staff moved into housing in cheaper compounds sourced by the school and were paid the difference. Others asked for the allowance in cash and went 'off-compound' completely. They saved well!! Their villas were still massive and quite nice (some even right by the beach) but not part of a compound, so without gyms and pools. And often no internet as the lines had not been laid. I should say that I was in a different city to Muscat, not far, but far enough to warrant excellent allowances. However, I know that a number of schools in Muscat provide very good packages as well.

Oman is a stunningly beautiful place to live and Omanis is are the friendliest, most welcoming people. If you like outdoorsy activities, it's brilliant for wild camping in the desert and on beaches, and has great watersport opportunities. I would move back there, though maybe not outside of Muscat again as the hospitals can be a bit hit-and miss and good healthcare nearby is pretty important to me.

claytie likes this.
  6. claytie

claytie New commenter

Thanks, very helpful!

LCass likes this.