1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Staff absent for 1st lesson - They did not inform school

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by September, Mar 21, 2011.

1. September

September New commenter

A member of my department was absent for a lesson and registration and did not inform the school of their intended absence. Instead they contacted another member of staff and asked them to cover their lesson and registration. The school knew nothing about this.
    I am sure I have read somewhere that this could be a disciplinary matter. Does any one know the facts on this one?

2. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Quite simple.
    Are you the HoD?
    Yes? Then have a chat to the person involved and ask them to follow proper guidelines in the future.
    No? Then mind your own business. The lesson was covered. The children were supervised by a qualified adult.
    No-one particularly likes someone who makes it their business to stick their noses into other peoples business.

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I am sure you'll make sure the school are aware....

4. September

September New commenter

I am the head of dept. I understand that if this happens it can lead to a disciplinary. I just want to know the facts so that I inform the member and ensure that it does not happen again for their sake. They are already being "watched". I do not want to lose my teacher. If there had been a fire or something serious then the school would have assumed said teacher was in the room. The teacher that covered for them has put themselves in a difficult position, even though they were only helping out.

5. It's very annoying to be held responsible for a dept if they then go and make informal arrangements that circumvent you. with all the modes of communication available, this colleague could and should have let you know even if on a personal level they'd rather stab themselves with a biro than speak to you.
    But to keep things fair and balanced, as others have suggested it behoves a good manager to find out person to person (not by gossip or grapevine) what the problem is, and then decide what's next best to do.
    Of course, if your role model leans more towards Genghis Khan mould then get the devious b0gger disciplined without hesitation.

6. Yes I agree!
    OP you have said you don't want to lose this member of staff so I think you should be offering him support in any way you can and maybe not trying to initiate any disciplinary procedures, (or adding more reason for this person to be 'watched')

7. Do you think they would have got permission if they had asked?

8. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

Is that really relevant? This person tried to pull a fast one and got caught
    Not only that, what would happen to the other teacher who agreed to cover had something happened in the class? School puts hands in air and says, "Nothing to do with us; he/she shouldn't have been there"
    We've actually gone to finger print log-ins to prevent this sort of thing.
    If you are going to be late / not attend, then at the very least, you should be contacting your HOD.
    In the day of the mobile phone, it shouldn't be too difficult

9. I don't think it's acceptable to do something like this - after all the absent teacher was paid for that time. However, I think it's important to look at whether they would have got permission had they asked. People do things like this in schools where you have to present a death certificate to attend your mother's funeral...

10. I was head of dep and had a senior teacher in my department, very often she would ask another member of the cabal the cover a lesson as she was busy on other more important issues. No permission was sought nor was I ever informed. This is totally understandable as it corresponds to the school motto..." do as i say not as i do" but in latin of course.

11. He/she shouldn't have done it ..... but:
    1. He/she is being "watched" - likely to lead to stress and so increase likelihood of poor decision making plus likelihood of increased absences.
    2. He/she has had lots of absences lately - could be a sign of stress, ill-health, personal problems and lead to the temptation to "hide" absences because he/she knows he/she is being "watched".
    See how it's a downward spiral? This is what drives good staff to breakdowns and it is very very common - see all the threads on this site from people who feel they are being bullied out of their jobs.
    As the manager you need to step back from this "blame" attitude and move into "support" mode. Follow the school procedures but do it with generosity and honesty.