1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

St. Mary's Primary PGCE thread!

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by MissMc1, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Hello all,

I have an interview on December 1st at St. Mary's for the primary PGCE.

Just wondered if anyone else has? Not heard much on these boards about anyone applying to St. Mary's...thought it might be nice if I knew some people going to the interview!

Any advice from past St.Mary's students is very much welcome as well! [​IMG]

2. Hello all,

I have an interview on December 1st at St. Mary's for the primary PGCE.

Just wondered if anyone else has? Not heard much on these boards about anyone applying to St. Mary's...thought it might be nice if I knew some people going to the interview!

Any advice from past St.Mary's students is very much welcome as well! [​IMG]

3. I've applied for the part time route. Only finished my application last week though so haven't heard anything. Good luck in your interview!!

4. Good luck with your application!

Don't think there's many on here for St. Mary's. I wonder how many people will be at the interview with me [​IMG]

5. Good luck with your interview! I just checked track, I have an interview on the 12th January, I can't wait.

6. Thanks! Well done on getting an interview. For your presentation do you have to bring an item you would use as a resource with a group of children and discuss it?

Can't believe no one else has replied, I thought St. Mary's was a popular London choice. [​IMG]

7. hi MissMc1,
    I know what you mean. I thought I'd find loads of people from St Mary's. I haven't found even one person doing secondary pgce. I have my interview tomorrow and i'm freaking out.Maybe if there's less applicants might mean more chances of us getting in [​IMG] haha
    I found previous St Marys applicants forums. Might be worth while for you to have a look. Most are for the primary pgce. Just search for 'calling all st mary's pgce applicants' in the forum search and you'll get a list of several chats. Hope it helps.
    Good luck once again

8. Good luck for your interview tomorrow!

Yeah, haha I was thinking that...hopefully not many apply so we have a better chance of getting in!

Thanks for the tip, will check them out now. [​IMG]

9. Interview over pheewwwww!!
    There was only three of us being interviewed (no wonder I could not find any other maths pgce applicants).
    The interview itself was very relaxed. Teachers were very nice. Nothing to worry about, as long as you can answer the obvious questions- why you want to be a teacher? What inspires and motivates you? What skills do you have?
    My nerves did play up a bit....... soo annoying when you can't control it. Oh well.
    On the whole it was alright.
    Good luck to you guys.

10. Hi there,

Could I be nosy and ask what other interview questions they asked you? And how long did it last?

I've yet to make up my mind where to apply to but trying to plan ahead for any interview...

Many thanks and I look forward to your response!

11. Hi Joseph,
    Yeah sure no worries. I was asked to describe a lesson plan, so basically from when the students would be coming into the class, where would I be standing (at the door of course getting the kids inside so they dont mess about in the corridors), then what I would be doing the first ten minutes of the lesson, the middle of the lesson and at the end of the lesson. You should mention for the starter an activity that would settle them right down (managing behaviour) e.g a quick mental test... Then when you're teaching make sure you include the students, always interacting with them, praising them. Make sure you have set work for all the different abilities in the class e.g- extention work for the clever cloggs....At the end of the lesson you'll try and see if the kids learnt the objectives of the lesson which you should have mentioned at the beginning of it, plus set h/w.
    I can't remember what else I was asked. As soon as I remember I'll be sure to put it down. The whole thing lasted at least 30 minutes.
    Make sure you apply early/soon. Some uni's are already full. And you definately want to get in for 2011, otherwise I'm sure know from 2012 the fee's will be more than double.
    Good Luck

12. Ok remembered one or two more- Did I see anything during my observations that was different or impressed me? I said one of the classes I had observed the teacher had total control/command of the class. The kids were enjoying the lesson and there was no disruptions....And she asked why do I think that was? I waffled a bit there. Another one was Why I chose secondary and not primary?
    If you have more questions just ask, I'll be glad to help out.

13. Thanks ever so much, that's really helpful - I need to get my skates on and apply. Did they ask about current educational issues?

Any other questions they asked you would be extremely helpful to me!

Many thanks for your reply.

Joseph

14. Hey Joseph,
    No I did not get any questions regarding current educational issues. But I guess every Uni is different.
    I dont think I got asked any more questions other than the ones I've mentioned. We did have a bit of a chat on how hard the PGCE course is- I have young children so she was concerned about that. Yeah, that's about it.
    Maryam

15. Hi 'Missmc',

How did your interview go? Well I hope.

I've sent you a private message just asking a few questions, it would be great if you could reply when you have a second.

I haven't heard from St.Mary's so no idea if I have an interview or not, just trying to be prepared.

Many thanks,

Joseph

16. Hi Joseph,

I feel it didn't go as well as I'd have liked, I was so nervous in the individual interview that I felt like I gave really basic answers that didn't show off the amount of experience I have! So I'm really not sure how it will go, don't find out until January when they know how many places they will have.

When did you send your application? The woman said she has to read about 500 of them so that's why it takes so long! I'll message you back now.

17. lol55

lol55 New commenter

Hey
    Another St Mary's applicant to join you! I am applying for Secondary MFL. I have an interview in January. I am trying to prepare as much as I can, but there just seems so many possible questions! hehe. I have to do a 3min presentation as well, that's a toughie!!
    Good luck with all your applications
    Lauren

18. lol55

lol55 New commenter

I haven't actually had my interview yet, but at the open day I was told that the literacy test would just ask you to write about your school observation experiences. They said they are looking for correct spelling and grammar and the ability to write coherently. My interview pack does not mention a numeracy test, but I imagine it will be like the qts ones we will have to take. There are practise tests here : http://www.tda.gov.uk/trainee-teacher/qts-skills-tests.aspx?keywords=qts
    Good luck on Wednesday. Report back and tell us how it went :D

19. Thanks for info - I will post everything I can after interview to help the rest of you - Good luck everyone and if anyone has any last minutes tips they would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks Faye

20. hi everyone. good luck for forthcoming interviews. just wondered - has anyone else had invite to interview, referring to group presentation BUT no enclosed sheet provided, giving more info? I'm going to email SMUC to ask but grateful for any ffurther info about what this entails in meantime... I'm sure I didn't mislay this one page, as have all the other sheets including CRB check etc..

thanks and good luck again