1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

St Martin's Method

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Nusch, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Has anyone heard of that teaching method and/or is anyone using it in their MFL SoW? I am doing some research on this teaching method and would appreciate any help to find out more. Thanks!

2. I suggest you research "James Burch".
    Alternatively, just ask how many people on here are "St Martin's trained". (Most of us, I suspect...)

3. Geekie

Geekie Occasional commenter

Not me, guv. Lingolass is your gal.

4. slick

slick New commenter

Me yes... class of 1995-1996....

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Not me I'm afraid, I've never even heard of the method. I was trained at the height of the 'audi-visual method'.

6. Lara mfl 05

Again! Edit needed; 'audio-visual' methods. Why is it one'stypos don't appear obvious until after you've posted?

7. Thanks everyone for your comments. Apart from the two books mentioned from CILT "Something to Say" and "You Speak, they Speak", are there any others that you could recommend? If you are using this method, can you please give me examples of how you are using it? I wasn't trained with the St Martin's Method and just heard about it at a meeting two days ago...again any further advice, comments etc. most appreciated :)

8. PierreImport

PierreImport Administrator

I thought this sort of methodology was responsible for the mass defection from languages. Is it STILL in vogue?

9. HelenMyers

HelenMyers New commenter

10. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

I hadn't heard of this and googling has not been much help either. I'm curious about what it involves. I was University of London trained. Death by question and answer! I think my MA tutor Alan Hornsey described it as structured direct method, or something similar. It has worked well with the kids I have taught over the years, but then Hornsey and his mate harris were former grammar school teacher types, I think.
    I tend to be less dogmatic about methods these days.

11. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Pierreimport, please elaborate, my curiosité is really piquée now! [​IMG]

12. Would someone please explain what the St Martin's method is. Does it involve abandoning all text books and making all your own materials?

13. I was trained at St Martin's in the mid 80's before the days of James Burch and his "St Martin's Method" but since then -having been at the same school all this time, I have seen a number of colleagues come (and go) and use it -it seems like a lot of hard work to me [​IMG]

14. Can anyone explain what it is? Please.

15. Hi there

I'm a St martins trained MFL teacher and loved being trained by James Burch. The stmartinsmfl blog is mine by the way from a working group we had set up after my PGCE...it is now out of use really.

What is the St Martins method?, well, it's mainly about using the TL as much as possible and creating a classroom environment which simulates language acquisition and is about the pupils having a reason to communicate.

Yes we often do make or adapt our own materials as we do not teach from a book but use the book to support plpur teaching. My website www.languagesresources.co.Uk has lots of examples of resources.

The PGCE massively hard work but worth every second as the pedagogical understanding gained was second to none. Everything we do in the classroom is for a reason :)

X

Ps does that help?

16. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

Well, yes, it helps a bit. "Contextualised QA" sounds something like the way I learned to teach in London back around 1980. A sort of common sense TL method using question and answer, repetition, practice, visual aids, games, information gaps and the like, no doubt supported by grammatical explanation. But I don't quite see what makes the St Martin's method very different.

17. St Martins mfl teaching is just what us St-martin-ites call it! It has roots in the communicative approach to language learning and has similarities to TALK as well.

18. Random175

Random175 New commenter

Interesting. Just recently I have come across fellow language teachers who claim - the only way to learn is to speak. One of them is my son's teacher. I feel quite cross at the simplistic attitude of it all - I haven't found a way of saying 'yes but how does he know what to say' without sounding dismissive!

19. I had a very strange experience last year. When after completing most of the OU beginners Welsh course, I went on an intensive course in Cardiff. I had scored quite well on oral assessments but had found the listening a real challenge. However my guile as an MFL teacher had stood me in good stead and I had done OK in them.
    Nothing could have prepared me for the shock of listening to real Welsh in context. I found myself in the situation where I could understand virtually nothing. Yet if I knew what I was being asked for, I could launch into reasonably coherent answers, only to be caught out again by a supplementary question. After a couple of weeks things were beginning to make sense but as far as I am concerned it highlighted the extreme importance of the skill of listening.

20. Lara mfl 05

Like OTTER I agree that it is 'being exposed to the language' that is of great importance. Really listening, trying to garner as much info as possible, working out /guessing what certain parts mean are all pre-regquisites to 'talking'.