1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

St Crispin's Day speech goosebumps

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, Oct 24, 2015.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I don't care if it's historically or psychologically innacurate, i think this is bloody marvellous.

"This story shall the good man teach his son;
    And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
    From this day to the ending of the world,
    But we in it shall be remember'd;
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
    This day shall gentle his condition:
    And gentlemen in England now a-bed
    Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
    And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
    That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day."

http://shakespeare.mit.edu/henryv/henryv.4.3.html

and there's King Kenneth of course

magic surf bus likes this.
  2. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

We went to see a live showing of Henry V from the RSC at our local cinema the other day. It's a very oddly structured play. After the long build up to the battle and then the English defeating the French against all the odds, the wooing seems to dissipate all the drama and excitement, something only underlined by Chorus's casual "Oh and their son goes on to mess up everything and lose France back to the French" at the end.

lindenlea likes this.
  3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

One of the few bits of Shakespeare I can understand without the help of a translator, containing many of the key elements of the classic inspirational speech that have been echoed in subsequent years. Offering them the chance to back out if they want, promising they'd always be remembered ('..men will still say this was their finest hour') and so on, words that have been used from the Alamo to Iraq and doubtless beyond. Even 'Band of Brothers' was adopted as a book title that later became the mini-series about a crack US WW2 parachute regiment.

I always think it appropriate that Branagh played Col Tim Collins, who delivered a similar style of speech on the eve of the Iraq War.

lindenlea likes this.
  4. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

One of the odder memories of my life was my Head at the time deciding to give the staff an inspirational speech (possibly based on Henry V) on the eve of an OFSTED visit.

It didn't go down particularly well. Our hearts were lumpen, dispirited things which resisted all attempts to soar.

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Best pre-OFSTED speech I ever heard was 'Tomorrow just go out and do what you already do to the best of your ability'. That was it.

cuteinpuce likes this.
  6. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I had to learn this speech for homework more than 60 years ago and I remember it word for word along with similar rousing patches of Shakespeare. It's such a pity I can't remember where I put the garden trowel or what the name was of the person in that film I saw yesterday.

lindenlea likes this.
  7. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I was enthusing about the Crispen speech the other day and showed it to my wife of the comuter.I should have known better.:(
    who is he?
    whys he shouting on the back of a cart.
    What funny words he uses
    Am i supposed to be impressed?
    Oh!
    Alas I have decided i am not going to try doing that again...This morning wewere talking and it seems she is unaware which leader rules where.Who is Putin? Why cant they find another Thatcher? Who is Obama?I feel I am wasting my time somewhere.
    Bet you she could tel me all the plots of heartbeat or murder she wrote though.

8. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I hope my mislaying of the trowel did not inspire you to think I am as forgetful as your dear wife appears to be, olds!