1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

St Albans

Discussion in 'Personal' started by MrsBauer, Feb 25, 2011.

1. megmogndowl

megmogndowl New commenter

Marshallswick didn't disappear at all - it merged with Wheathampstead School in 1988 and became Sandringham School.
    I personally would not advocate living in Harpenden at all as it is full of Nouveaux Riches and very snobby. The house prices there are generally ridiculous! (although there are a couple of really good secondary schools there).
    If you don't want to live in the middle of the town, the surrounding villages are nice - Wheathampstead (if you avoid the estate) and Sandridge are lovely as are Redbourne, Gustard Wood, Kimpton, Whitwell, Lemsford etc. (but house prices in all of them are high). I would avoid Hatfield but Welwyn Garden is really nice (although there are bits to be avoided). Hertford is lovely (in the top 10 places to live in the country) but it is quite a commute to St. Albans.

2. my mum lives in harpenden - and she's lovely!!
    but then so does my sil and - yeah - that's her
    my impression was that prices in harpenden weren't at the premium these days that they were in, say the 70's
    the other places you mention aren't on the thameslink, and the op's boyfriend commutes to london, i think, which makes central st albans/harpenden good ideas - oh, but the bits of st a near the station were a bit scrubby - dunno if they've been gentrified of late

3. yeah - i figured it ended up as sandringham - didn't realise the merger tho
    my point was that by googling 'marshalswick school st albans' stuff came up - 'st audreys school st albans' produced only hatfield, so i thought it unlikely there'd been another st audreys in st albans in time gone by

4. megmogndowl

megmogndowl New commenter

I've spent the best part of my life in and around St. Albans and Harpenden, (I too still have family there) and of course not everybody is snobbish, however, I stand by what I said about Harpenden and the attitudes of a large number of people who live there and particularly those who move there.
    Many of the places I mentionned aren't on the Thameslink but both Hatfield and Welwyn have direct train links to London. Wheathampstead and Sandridge are close enough to Harpenden or St. Albans to catch the Thameslink train and the other villages are very close to Hitchin where there is also a direct line to London.

5. lol - my mum would agree with you - she's in a nice ex-council flat that she consequently bought cheap
    do you remember the fuss about how harpenden had to have it's own swimming pool as the residents couldn't possibly share swimming pool water with the plebs at westminster lodge
    and my sil's kids go to st george's - the family having amazingly discovered religion when the oldest was in y4, after years of her taking the p**s out of my church-going