1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SSTA tells COSLA to ...

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by Dominie, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Got this email today ...

Dear Colleagues

The convener of the Salaries and Conditions committee was part of the delegation which met with COSLA and the Scottish Government on Monday 31 January. Subsequently our Salaries and Conditions of Service Committee met today, Tuesday 1 February, to determine our response to the most recent proposals.

COSLA wish us to believe that, in return for considerable detriment to our conditions of service new teacher posts will be created. However they are unable to give us accurate information about the number of teachers currently employed in each Authority; no guarantees about action to be taken if promises are not kept and no definite clarification of the number of posts to be created. The clearest information we have is that teacher numbers will not fall by more than 900, hardly an overwhelming improvement.

The detriment to some teachers would be considerable:

All supply teachers being paid at scale point 1 for the first 15 days of every placement, and only for 6/7 of a day.
    Life time conservation to become cash conservation and be removed after 3 years
    An end to the Charter Teacher scheme (or stopping it for 1 year)
    Sick pay paid at only 90% of salary from day 1 of absence
    Probationers to work 80% of class contact time instead of 70% presently done.
    Contractual holidays limited to 40 days, with 26 days additional leave which the Scottish Government describe as ?being like weekends?. COSLA claim this will have no effect on the holiday entitlement unless a teacher takes maternity leave.

The Committee decided that we cannot agree to this proposal and consequently the SSTA will oppose the move at the SNCT meeting to be held on Wednesday 9 February. Should the proposal change we will consider that amended proposal and inform you as soon as possible. We expect to receive an official version of this information by the end of this week. It will be immediately added to the website.

Further updates will be sent by email and added to the website as soon as more information becomes available. In the meantime if you have any comments or questions please don?t hesitate to contact me.

With best wishes

Yours sincerely

Ann Ballinger
    General Secretary

2. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Pesky Googlechrome!

Dear Colleagues

The
    convener of the Salaries and Conditions committee was part of the
    delegation which met with COSLA and the Scottish Government on Monday 31
    January. Subsequently our Salaries and Conditions of Service Committee
    met today, Tuesday 1 February, to determine our response to the most
    recent proposals.

COSLA
    wish us to believe that, in return for considerable detriment to our
    conditions of service new teacher posts will be created. However they
    are unable to give us accurate information about the number of teachers
    currently employed in each Authority; no guarantees about action to be
    taken if promises are not kept and no definite clarification of the
    number of posts to be created. The clearest information we have is
    that teacher numbers will not fall by more than 900, hardly an
    overwhelming improvement.

The detriment to some teachers would be considerable:

• All supply teachers being paid at scale point 1 for the first 15 days of every placement, and only for 6/7 of a day.
    • Life time conservation to become cash conservation and be removed after 3 years
    • An end to the Charter Teacher scheme (or stopping it for 1 year)
    • Sick pay paid at only 90% of salary from day 1 of absence
    • Probationers to work 80% of class contact time instead of 70% presently done.
    • Contractual
      holidays limited to 40 days, with 26 days additional leave which the
      Scottish Government describe as ‘being like weekends’. COSLA claim
      this will have no effect on the holiday entitlement unless a teacher
      takes maternity leave.
    The
    Committee decided that we cannot agree to this proposal and
    consequently the SSTA will oppose the move at the SNCT meeting to be
    held on Wednesday 9 February. Should the proposal change we will
    consider that amended proposal and inform you as soon as possible. We
    expect to receive an official version of this information by the end of
    this week. It will be immediately added to the website.

Further
    updates will be sent by email and added to the website as soon as more
    information becomes available. In the meantime if you have any comments
    or questions please don’t hesitate to contact me.

With best wishes

Yours sincerely

Ann Ballinger
    General Secretary

3. holdingon

holdingon Occasional commenter

phew
    • All supply teachers being paid at scale point 1 for the first 15 days of every placement, and only for 6/7 of a day.
    better off working at Tescos I would have thought for many

• Life time conservation to become cash conservation and be removed after 3 years
    thought life time meant lifetime
    • An end to the Charter Teacher scheme (or stopping it for 1 year)
    what would this mean for current charter teachers?
    • Sick pay paid at only 90% of salary from day 1 of absence
    so we all go to work and spread the germs wehatever state we are in -sensible??
    • Probationers to work 80% of class contact time instead of 70% presently done.
    that'll improve the training then?
    • Contractual holidays limited to 40 days, with 26 days additional leave which the Scottish Government describe as ‘being like weekends’. COSLA claim this will have no effect on the holiday entitlement unless a teacher takes maternity leave.
    is there not something called creep -only effect maternity leave -for now -until it suits
    then 1 week cpd in summer then two

not looking too good is it??
    w

4. ryeland

ryeland New commenter

The supply thing is appalling - barely worth the journey. The problem being of course that you need to do supply to have a good chance of getting more work. I have landed nearly two years work - that is taking classes on through to certification and being a full member of staff, simply from being available on supply. So if you want to be a teacher, you have to go on an extremely low income - and it will be low, you don't work every day.

Then there is the 15 day bit. We all know how that will work in the Lothians - no work on a Friday so the clock restarts. Shelf stacking looks more attractive by the day - if I can get a job doing that.
    Meanwhile we are being bumped off the lists, denied even the right to be considered for exploitation. Please support us!

5. 2 things...
    1. As we are COUNCIL employees would it be legal for them to treat us differently from other workers with regards to sick pay? (not sure how others are treated already!)
    2. Looking at the make up of the SNCT am I right in saying that it will only take 1 from the teachers' side to vote yes and this will all go through? (is it worrying that senior managers' unions are on this panel?)

6. Maybe they're gonna put all council workers at 90% for sick pay from day 1?
    That'll serve us right, anyway, for always skiving off work so shamelessly, all of us lazy good-for-nothing public sector workers, always bilking the poor hard-working taxpayers....wait, that's us too......
    [​IMG]

7. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Yes. Perfectly legal. Teachers have separate contracts from other Council workers and any contract can be re-negotiated. Moral is another issue altogether of course. Certainly no other group of public service workers in Scotland is being targeted in this way afaik.

The EIS hold the majority of votes on the teachers' side. If their leaders decide to do a deal then we've had it. I would advise ALL EIS members to put as much pressure on as possible to ensure that no jerseys are sold by the EIS leadership.

8. If the EIS put this through the I'm tearing up my membership and joining another union. I've always been concerned that the EIS heirarchy are too much in the pockets of the LAs and don't do enough to support all their members. They bleat on too much about the rights of probationers but what about the rights of supply teachers and those of longer-term staff. I am concerned about my job and the education of my young son and each day, it seems that there is another proposal put forward with the sole intention of belittling our profession. However, as a parent who sometimes stands at the school gate, I would say that fellow parents are now beginning to get the message that with these cuts the future of education in this country looks decidedly bleak.

9. Velma, I agree with you re the union being in the pocket of LAs---that's obvious---, but what are the choices? I think you're primary, like me? so presumably the SSTA is not a suitable option.

10. You're right CG, I am primary and there is not a lot of choice for us. However, I'm really frustrated by the lack of interest from the those at the top in the EIS. There does seem to be more motivation at the grass roots but these people are not 'the movers and shakers' and that's what worries me.
    Perhaps someone out there can offer us an alternative. I will be hugely disappointed if the EIS accepts any of these proposals. None of them are reasonable! What is the point of us signing up to an agreement if they can just come along and cherry-pick the bits they don't like anymore.
    To be quite honest, I hadn't actually thought that there was any chance that they could actually agree with all this nonsense but I suppose its a horrible possibility. Interestingly, I checked their website earlier and the cuts are not even the headline, its still some blurb about a music festival - I suppose that says it all really. Glad to see what their priorities really are!!
    [​IMG]

11. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Email your EIS local secretary and encourage your colleagues to do so. Ask your school rep to organise a meeting and pass a motion calling on the EIS to stand firm. Send it to you EIS secretary with a cc to EIS area offices and HQ.
    Attend the next EIS local meeting. If it's an AGM, nominate yourself or someone else with similar views to stand for election as local secretary.
    One possibility is that the SG and COSLA will threaten to dissolve the SNCT. There is a danger that the EIS leadership, obsessed as they are by their position of power and influence on the SNCT, will try to negotiate a deal which preserves the SNCT and their position on it. Pressure from their own members is the only thing which will prevent this.
    By all means threaten to leave and to take as many colleagues with you
    as can but don't do so unless there actually is a sell out. That would leave the
    union to the inbertebrates.