1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Squeezed out by nepotistic appointment

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by listenquietly, Feb 3, 2012.

1. I have been p/t in FE for five years, and have enjoyed it immensely - having taught in secondary schools for 20 years before that.
    Last term I was asked to cover for 8 weeks for a colleague in the A level department, who turned out to be an NQT, and who was closely related to two senior members of staff.
    It appears that the ad for the A level job appeared in late July, with the job starting just a few weeks later, in September. I never saw any ad for this job.
    A former PGCE student from my department told me that he had applied for the A level job, and had had a "perfunctory" interview, where "it felt like there was no job".
    The NQT who I covered has now returned, and I feel that there is something going on, as my hours for next term have been reduced by 60%, yet he has been given significant/important college tasks and has been integrated into my faculty.
    I am 30 years older than this young man, and he has a similar academic background, and similar skills.
    I know it sounds like sour grapes, but I could have continued my own hours and done the A level hours as well, with a brilliant track record of student academic/personal achievement.
    Am I just being "paranoid", as my line manager tells me?

2. I was with you until you described yourself as "brilliant."