1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Square peg round hole - finding NQT job

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by joeengland, Apr 19, 2016.

1. joeengland

joeengland New commenter

Dear Theo
    I'm looking for advice. I am 51. I completed my primary PGCE in 2014 (part-time distance learning). I started my career as a university lecturer. I then became a music educator and have 10 years experience delivering singing and music in schools, including training NQTs. Children and teachers love what I do. I am Kodaly and Orff trained (in case you are unfamiliar, these are approaches to teaching music which are child and development centred) and have a Professional development certificate in Early Childhood (Primary) Music. I am not qualified to teach secondary music as I am primarily a folk musician. I have applied for a number of NQT jobs in local schools and although I have got to interview in about half, I have not been successful in getting a job. I am tired of working as a peripatetic music teacher at the whim of others with poor pay and conditions, or as a supply teacher (ditto). What I really want to do is to work in a school like the San Francisco School (based on Montessori principles), where I can teach the whole child through music (i.e. use music (and the arts) to enhance learning across the whole curriculum); a school which values creativity and the arts, and which puts children first. Is there any place for someone like me in the current education system? And if there is, how can I go about finding such a place?

2. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

If you have a pgce, did that not give you QTS and thus you are qualified to teach in secondary? I am classically trained...I don't use much in that in a small secondary school in Wales ...but my pop knowledge had improved considerably. :) What your musical preference is doesn't stop you teaching music if you have a PGCE and qts.

Whereabouts are you located?

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

There may be, but first you may need to be more conventional to get the NQT induction post. I am just guessing here, but if you set out your stall in an interview as you have above, many schools could feel that you would not fit with their requirements. They are, after all, buying, and they know what they are looking for.

Possibly a Montessori school, as you yourself say? Find the list of them and start considering this as a possibility.

Best wishes

4. forzasslazio

forzasslazio New commenter

I would suggest trying an agency and when they ask questions such as what are your strengths, emphasise those exact points you just mentioned.