1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SQL & VB

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by pythonator, Nov 10, 2015.

1. pythonator

pythonator New commenter

My colleague who is responsible for post 16 is going away on maternity leave so I am to take over her lessons. I need to brush up on the languages used by sixth form.
    Anyone know any good practical resources for learning VB as well as SQL?

Thanks

2. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

"Teach Yourself SQL in 10 Minutes" (SAMS) has taught me all I've needed to know.

Not sure about VB - is it the commands you're not sure about, or the IDE? You'll find it much quicker and easier to create a form-based application than using Python and tkinter!

3. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

This site is good and will get you started.
    I would worry though that just using tutorial site may not prepare you well enough for the challenge presented by able students on advanced post 16 course.

4. pythonator

pythonator New commenter

That is exactly what I am worried about. Some post 16 students go rather in depth.

Is the book any good? I may use codeacademy to freshen myself up with SQL. Any other suggestions?

The commands in vb are sometimes mis-spelt by me. When coding at home i always have google opened but I cant do this in school

5. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

Shouldn't the IDE help with that? Visual Studio is much better than IDLE at auto-complete, etc.

Don't forget that the skill in programming is not knowing the syntax, but knowing what to do with it - i.e. the algorithmic thinking. I find that that's where the "know all" students fall down - they get bogged down in the detail of the programming language and don't understand generic techniques, such as use of bitwise logic, modular arithmetic, etc. In that sense, if you're a competent and confident Python programmer you'll be fine.