1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SQA survey

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by itaintmebabe, Aug 21, 2020.

1. WitchFingers likes this.
  2. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Read the mods, did the survey. For my subject it looks like all they're doing is shortening the exam. And my reaction is "is that it?".

BillyBobJoe likes this.
  3. mousey1394

mousey1394 New commenter

It is for the sciences. We’ve all been screaming at them to drop the assignment so it’ll be interesting to see if they take any notice. It’s based on a practical and there are issues there as well as getting through the content.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  4. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

Everything has already been pre-decided for this year. They'll not even read the responses, it's just a tick box activity

Queue the teacher anger when they don't change anything. You can of course cram the 160 hours into 130 hours no bother.

They really are an obscenely hideous organisation.

5. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

Oh how I wish we could hope for 130 hours in which to deliver the courses. Even in normal times my 3 level S4 class only gets 3 hours a week.

Effinbankers likes this.
  6. Scubadt

Scubadt New commenter

This was my reply to their survey too.

No changes to my subject, despite it already being a tight squeeze in normal circumstances.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  7. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

Why bother with the assignments? My N5 and Higher pupils completed theirs last year, the SQA had the N5 ones in their possession and they were not marked. The higher ones are in a green tray ready to be posted.

The pick up for most N5 assignments had passed so they had all that evidence, evidence that could have been marked under fairly normal conditions and it was left languishing in a store somewhere.

Effinbankers, Marisha and bigjimmy2 like this.
  8. grayst

grayst Occasional commenter

The Institute of Physics have responded to SQA and it is a bit of a zinger:

- "strongly disagree", "proposals inadequate"
    - dump the assignment and reduce size of the AH project
    - consider reducing sampling of course content and/or introducing optional questions

IOP normally works discreetly but they've put this on the TalkPhysics Scotland forum, to which just about anyone can log in.

Never seen IOP do anything like this.

Marisha and bigjimmy2 like this.
  9. GuessWho

GuessWho Occasional commenter

I notice the only difference for the Maths exams is a return to shorter exams but no change in content to be covered.

Seems quite strange that assignments are likely to be removed from other subjects and therefore provide more time for teaching course content whereas pupils studying Maths will "gain" no extra time to cope with less teaching time..... especially the former S3 pupils into S4 who had no formal teaching from March to June.

autoq and sicilypat like this.
  10. autoq

autoq New commenter

Yeah the box-ticking-paper-shufflers running the SQA obviously fail to understand the issue. Changing the exam length achieves NOTHING. The issue is having less time to go over topics which would/should have been done before the summer PLUS (e.g. for Maths Higher) revising the topics which would have been consolidated through revising for a proper N5 exam.
    I reckon we are about 10 weeks of teaching/learning time behind. The easiest option is to make some topics optional. Maybe 3 from 5 or something. ( i.e. allow 2 topics to be missed out). Some teachers/Depts/schools will still manage to teach the whole course , but for those (more disadvantaged) pupils , it will balance the picture a bit.
    I agree about having more competition, if only to put a rocket up the ivory towers of the SQA...

Effinbankers, PamDemic and Marisha like this.