1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SQA results day 2019: what will be the trends for this year’s Scottish exams?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Aug 6, 2019.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

What will the data reveal now that Scotland's exam results have been released? Here is a look a some of the key issues:

‘It will be interesting to see if the drop in recent years in entries at National 4 plateaus this year (entries have plummeted from 130,876 in 2015 to 106,033 last year). That seems unlikely, though, as there will probably be a further reduction in the number of pupils gaining the qualification through “recognising positive achievement” – the process by which pupils who fail the N5 exam are awarded the N4.

…It is always worth looking at how the uptake and pass rates in key subjects such as English and maths have changed when it comes to the different qualifications – if, indeed, they have. When the results came out in 2015, the Scottish government highlighted the "outstanding improvement" in the number of pupils passing Higher English, up 17.7 per cent to 27,902 from 23,702.

The uptake of different subjects at National 5 has also been a hot topic this year, because of an inquiry by the Scottish Parliament’s Education and Skills Committee into the apparent narrowing of the curriculum.‘

https://www.tes.com/news/sqa-results-day-2019-what-look-out

2. gnulinux

gnulinux Occasional commenter

3. gnulinux

4. gnulinux

67% = 'A' in Maths H while last year it was 73%

44% = 'C' in Maths H while last year it was 48%

5. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Established commenter

Effinbankers and bigjimmy2 like this.
  6. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Established commenter

Ooooh, I wish I had written that!

I haven't read his post on the Higher attainment fall yet, but I'm willing to bet it's the cause of the SNP or something from the Daily Mail . . .

7. gnulinux

Let's see your analysis of the results then. I reckon you couldn't even find the results file.

8. BillyBobJoe

You've seen my analysis every year for at least the last three. It hasn't changed much: you can't use raw pass rates to assess difficulty because you're not comparing similar students. And that's what you do. Every year.

Effinbankers and bigjimmy2 like this.
  9. bigjimmy2

And your "analysis" is from a headline - not even the article, remember, cos it's behind a paywall, unless you actually subscribe - in an English Tory broadsheet? You're supposed to be numerate, gnu, with your degree in Computing Science from the 1980s so let's see your actual analysis. Tell you what, gnu, we've moved on from Algol, Cobol etc into the 21st Century and things are a bit more sophisticated than punch cards and ticker tape.

Are your really and honestly a teacher? Comedy gold, you never disappoint.

10. gnulinux

https://www.parliament.scot/S5_Education/Inquiries/Subject_Choices__Submission_Jim_Scott.pdf

... 'There is also some evidence in the tables and lists of this paper of some transference of learners from ‘harder’ academic subjects not only to vocational choices but also to ‘softer’ subjects such as RME, PE and Cake Production. If this trend continues, it may better meet learners’ interests but it will not necessarily be a good fit for the business and economic needs of a future Scotland.' ...

11. bigjimmy2

Same thing is happening over the rUK: thing is, some idiots don't realise that.

12. gnulinux

Where is your evidence for that assertion??? I don't see Boris or Theresa looking to be judged on their record on Education.

And what has happened to your usual bile??? Obviously it is 2 big a job to ridicule an authoritative Educational source - eh???

13. bigjimmy2

Are you being serious? :) After five days is that the best you can come up with? :)

By "bile" I assume you mean accurate assessments of your inane and childish dribblings? :)

And, which "authoritative Educational source" am I ridiculing? Eh? :)

Are you honestly claiming the London Westminster government is not judged on their education system?

PS "Boris" and "Theresa": really? Only a fool would refer to those two by their first names.

14. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

If your authoritative source is that Jim Scott guy Gnu then you are very confused

He is one of the people who is responsible for the CFE mess - he "managed the implementation of a 3-3 CfE curriculum in one Scottish secondary school and provided CfE training and/or local inspections of the transformation from the 2-2-2 curriculum"

Essentially he's a muppet sitting in an office who thought up some of these new curricular structures and practice on a whim, based on zero evidence.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  15. gnulinux

Tut tut tut! Obviously more bile from 2 of Sturgeon's Naughty People. Fish like, true to form, they take the bait, hook line and sinker!!!

'Ms Sturgeon added: “Let me be clear – I want to be judged on this. If you are not, as First Minister, prepared to put your neck on the line on the education of our young people then what are you prepared to. It really matters.”'

https://www.scotsman.com/education/nicola-sturgeon-judge-me-on-education-record-1-3861506

Can't you just hear the hollowness of the ring to those words???

16. bigjimmy2

From 2015?

More utterly irrelevant pfish from the usual scheidtmeister source.

17. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

Talking of hollowness Gnu is quite appropriate, in reference to the vacuous space between your ears. And the same wee echo that continually bounces round your cranial cavity: "SNP bad, Tory good; SNP bad, Tory good; SNP bad, Tory good" (repeat continually)

But it is really funny Gnu. So keep spouting your same guff, interspersed with ten year old hyperlinks from rabid right wing titles.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  18. gnulinux

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/zero-attainment-pupils-on-rise-under-new-curriculum-c8dpfqgx9#

'More children are leaving school without any qualifications since the government radically overhauled the school curriculum, an academic has said.

The proportion of children leaving with no qualifications at all has quadrupled in some areas, according to Jim Scott, professor of education at Dundee University.

Nicola Sturgeon pledged to make education the defining priority of her government in 2015, urging Scottish voters to judge her by her record just as the new Curriculum for Excellence (CfE) was bedding in.'

19. BillyBobJoe

I would question the statistical validity of this as the proportional of students leaving with nothing at all must be vanishingly small, and consist almost entirely of those unable or unwilling to engage with mainstream education. Indeed the graph seems to indicate substantial fluctuations from year to year. Even if the trend is valid, it can just mean that trying to shove a recalcitrant 16 year old through Nat 3 applications of maths is marginally harder than getting them to turn up on the day of the foundation maths exam and scrape a pass.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  20. bigjimmy2

Same old drivel from the same old bigot.