1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SQA results 2020

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by grayst, Jul 30, 2020 at 4:02 PM.

1. grayst

grayst New commenter

A bi of good news. I got sight of my results today and was pleasantly surprised. Only two reductions from my estimates (in grade terms at least) and only one of those might merit an appeal.

Fingers crossed for everyone else.

Marisha likes this.
  2. mousey1394

mousey1394 New commenter

That is good news but two from how many? Did either move from a pass to a fail? Those are the ones which worry me.
    Our S4 cohort was the best we’ve had for a good few years so I’m a bit concerned that there will be a problem with our results.

3. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

You will probably be the only teacher in the country in that position!

4. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

There's an embargo on the results until next Tuesday.

Whilst school managers can see them, you really shouldn't have posted this.

alendra likes this.
  5. autoq

autoq New commenter

Did you sit an exam ?
    Surely you mean your pupils results ?
    *Rant alert* :rolleyes:
    I only say this as I truly believe that only when ALL teachers stop thinking as though the results are a reflection on them (and what sort of a teacher they think they are) rather than a reflection of the pupils ethic&ability , will we start to make any sort of real improvements in education.
    Too many SMT :)eek:and HMIE) have this incorrect focus . Nowhere near enough credit/criticism of the pupils. It is a responsibilty thing. I come in and teach the pupils the best that I can. Every year. So do most teachers. Each year the results come in and they vary from year to year. The biggest variables in this are the pupils. The buck has to stop and start with them. My influence is really limited to teaching the pupils properly and supporting/encouraging them.
    SMT don't like this reality as it, in effect, means they have less control than they think/want. Much easier to pick on individual staff members about "results" than to confront pupils.
    Pushing the responsiblilty back to pupils and making it clear each day where the responsbility lies (with the pupils) is something that too few teachers/schools do.
    The message can be delivered in a pleasant, forthright and realistic manner. Most pupils actually acknowledge this - more than some teachers sometimes !

6. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

Well said!

7. JPM1967

JPM1967 New commenter

Excuse my ignorance, as a primary teacher, but if one of them does not merit an appeal would that suggest you were overstating that pupil's true ability in you estimate?

8. grayst

grayst New commenter

As you'll know, in the state education system many things are rationed, including appeals. There may not be a cash charge this year, but they still use up time and effort.

For example we would not normally appeal if success would just be moving someone up a numbered band within a lettered grade. An exception might be if someone needed an A1 for a very competitive uni course.

Or, if we know that the awarded grade meets someone's UCAS / college / whatever requirements, we'd be reluctant to appeal that.

As I sometimes tell the lids - "you're in a state school, it's a bus not a taxi."

JPM1967 likes this.
  9. grayst

grayst New commenter

Rant accepted. You are quite correct. My use of "my results" was a sloppy and inaccurate contraction.

Although this year teachers are more involved than usual as it's our estimates and the SQA moderation process, not the kids' exam performance.

The SSTA Gen Sec dropped a hint the other week, putting out a statement saying something like "we do not expect SQA to be making major changes to teacher estimates." Maybe they looked at their data and their rank-ordering algorithm (which was probably on a 5.25 inch floppy disk and would only run under DOS 3.3) and decided they didn't have much of a basis to make big changes.

I looked at my own five-year history as an esitmator and it would have been little use to them - over one year, under the next, no discernible pattern, Thankfully.

autoq and Marisha like this.
  10. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

To be fair, I think most of us think of "my" results. But they are the childrens' results, be they something to celebrate, crushing disappointment, or, increasingly these days, pupils' own wild overestimation of their abilities.

sicilypat and Marisha like this.
  11. JPM1967

JPM1967 New commenter

Thanks for the explanation. It makes sense now.

12. grayst

grayst New commenter

I don't see that I've broken any confidentiality - I haven't said anything about what the results are, just that they are in line with my estimates. Which remain confidential.

A lot of have been stressing about how much our estimates would be mangled by "moderation" and how much appeals work would be needed in the next few weeks.

Hopefully, maybe the answer is "not much".

13. Effinbankers

There should be no discussion about what kids have achieved until they get their certificates. As has been pointed out above, it's not "your" results

Most teachers don't know how their pupils have got on - you shouldn't be on a public forum shouting out that your estimates are accurate before the 4th August. It stinks of "there's one rule for me and the rest of your can wait until next week".

14. grayst

grayst New commenter

Er, SLTs across the country will have been analysing and discussing the results since they got them yesterday, and if my SLT chose to share with me as I was passing by, that's their prerogative, surely.

To repeat, I was extremely careful not to say one solitary thing about what the results actually were.

And I was not "shouting about being accurate", just offering an indication that possibly the "moderation" process may not be the great big omnishambles we were afraid of.

I regret if you have taken offence, that was not my intention.

15. Effinbankers

I'm not offended at all.

You just shouldn't be passing comments on public forums until pupils have them. If you're not SLT then you really shouldn't have access to them anyway before Aug 4 - but maybe that's where the issue is. If your school is being a wee bit loose with who has access to confidential data, then there are potential recriminations for not following an embargo.

We can comment on the SQA's moderation process once they are public.