1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SQA - Process to calculate predicted grades

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by GuessWho, Apr 30, 2020.

1. GuessWho

GuessWho Occasional commenter

Have just read the SQA advice/instructions that have to be implemented to process predicted grades.

I find myself in awe at the sheer convolutedness (if that's a word) of the hoops we have to jump through.

Maybe I'm just too old and cynical to buy into it.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  2. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

A complete and utter shile of pite.

I think the SQA are slitting their own throats. After this carry on they need disbanded.

GuessWho and bigjimmy2 like this.
  3. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Grades should be judged on:

1) Prelims.
    2) Any tests, which, remember, the SQA took away under the guise of reducing workload (!).
    3) Any homeworks - done/not done, marks.
    4) Professional judgement.

Nothing, but nothing more complicated than that.

Once this evidence is collected then your average layman could look at the numbers and choose the grade each pupil deserves regardless of what the subject is - not a skilled job at all.

On the other hand, our FH came up with a pointless bullet list (filling an A4 page) of "things" to be done before pupils are graded. Not fit for purpose. Incompetent. Corrupt. Sums up the current state of education for me.

Marisha and GuessWho like this.
  4. grayst

grayst New commenter

The "rank-ordering" business is bothersome, but it's being done across the UK and apparently used to be done in Scotland until about 20 years ago.

What gets me annoyed is that NO OTHER exam board in the UK has this nonsense of 19 "refined bands", some of them 2% wide. They're just estimating to 9-1 for GCSE, A*-F for A-level as usual.

What is so special about SQA?

bigjimmy2 likes this.