1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SQA Marking - worth doing?

Discussion in 'Scotland - curriculum' started by socrates82, Nov 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. socrates82

socrates82 Occasional commenter

Advice please:

I've been a teacher for a long while but never marked before. I'm down to 3 days a week now so thinking about doing it (maths) this school year.

Any thoughts anyone? What is the money like and is it worth it timewise?

Thanks

2. inthered

inthered Occasional commenter

Haven't done maths, but have done plenty in my own subject; pay has shot up recently with having to do online marking. Consensus seems to be it's worth it, and best CPD you can get.

socrates82 likes this.
  3. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

I tend to disagree with the CPD bit (although it does help give some gravitas to your opinions when it comes to parental discussions, rightly or wrongly). The pay is much better than it used to be and marking online is actually pretty efficient if you're computer literate.

socrates82 likes this.
  4. socrates82

socrates82 Occasional commenter

Thanks for the replies people.

When do you normally hear if you've been accepted as a marker or not?

5. inthered

inthered Occasional commenter

Can't remember; once you've been accepted, unless you do it wrong you just keep on doing it (or drop out). February maybe? Email them to ask. I do think it's the only way you can find out definitively what marks are given for in the exam, the SQA are cagey as hell about it, plus you can't find the documents on the stupid website unless you have a free morning.

socrates82 likes this.
  6. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Established commenter

Financially is it worth it? Probably not compared to tutoring if you were to judge payment per hour

Educationally worth it? As a teacher it is beneficial. The lack of transparency over how the SQA works means you need to be an insider to find out things, what is worth marks and what isn't. There is no doubt it helps.

mathsmutt, jonowen and socrates82 like this.
  7. Stevieteach

Stevieteach New commenter

I feel very strongly that it is not worth it ! In fact totting up total hours etc. SQA are probably contravening minimum wage. This stuff about good CPD is not good enough, Other professions who work for around a tenner an hour because it's good development ?