1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SQA and social distancing

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by moscowbore, Mar 22, 2020.

1. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

This is a quote from the SQA website

That is why the Deputy First Minister has asked schools and colleges to continue to work with young people to ensure that any units and coursework are completed and estimated grades are provided by teachers, drawing on the available evidence gathered throughout the year, to SQA’s existing deadlines, or earlier if that is possible. For many learners, we will also have prior attainment information which will be helpful to us

How is this achievable while following government advice on social distancing?

aypi likes this.
  2. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

moscowbore stop thinking at the back, we don't do thinking.

3. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

Help save Scotland from #COVIDー19 Schools are going to break guidelines next week. Please sign the petition http://chng.it/q6NJjMT4Sd

4. xmal

xmal Established commenter

Signed. Up until now I have not been too worried about it. Now, however, I am beginning to become very worried. S4-6 in our school makes up about 400 pupils and the vast majority have work to complete. It's insane to bring them in.

5. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Established commenter

Done!

6. catmother

catmother Star commenter

7. catmother

catmother Star commenter

8. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

upload_2020-3-22_17-35-53.png
    up ssip brewery

9. moscowbore

Sense has prevailed. No student needs to go to school to finish coursework.

Now go find the idiot who suggested it and fire them.

10. xmal

xmal Established commenter

This should have been the decision last Wednesday.

Marisha, WitchFingers, aypi and 2 others like this.
  11. moscowbore

This step is now necessary to protect public health and lives, apparently.
    What has changed since last week when they published this decision?

Heads must roll

12. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

I was just in a local filling station. One of my closest friends was there. See you outside I said. Meanwhile the Conveynor of the council was standing about a meter away from someone talking. The conversation started before I went in and was still going when I left. No wonder it took so long to sort out.

Marisha likes this.
  13. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

The SQA are a law unto themselves. They have effed up a functioning exam system, increased our workload, don't listen to teachers and now are happy for lives to be put at risk.

It's an utter, utter disgrace what they get away with. As Moscowbore pointed out, heads must indeed roll.

They work for us, not the other way round. I'm not really one for privatisation or opening up the market, but if they had a rival to their monopoly they would be better run and not so dismissive of teachers of pupil concerns.

14. bigjimmy2

When British Leyland was on the go the car bodies were taken from the assembly building to the paintshop building whatever the weather and quite often they were painted whilst wet.

The SQA is the British Leyland of today.

alexmurraybrown and Marisha like this.
  15. moscowbore

When all the dust settles, in about 18 months after a vaccine is available, that SQA decision to ask students to go back to school to complete coursework and for teachers to facilitate this will be remembered and a head will roll.

16. bigjimmy2

I would like to think so, mb, but don't think that will happen.

17. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

On a contemporary theme, I would prefer to consider them as comparable with either the International Olympic Committee or Sevco FC

bigjimmy2 likes this.