1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spyware/anti-spyware help please!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ns324, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Hi, I hope someone here can give me some advice. in the last 2 weeks I've hadthe details of my debit and credit card stolen, and the only thing I can think of is that it's through internet shopping, so I wonder if there's some spyware on my laptop that is getting my details. I've run AVG today, and am currently running Ad|Aware. Does anyone have any other advice of good free programs to try and get all threats removed?

P.s. AVg found 3 trojans, would that have been sufficient to do it??

2. Spybot is pretty good at picking up & removing malware & trojans, if you keep it up to date every week. It's a free download - just Google it.
    OtC

3. Sorry to hear about your accounts being hacked - not nice at all.

You could try Microsoft Security Essentials which is also free - it came out well in "The Sunday Times" review.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/products/security-essentials

You may want to think about using a virtual keyboard as well when you are conducting internet transactions, some AV packages e.g.Kaspersky include this already.

I gave up with windows and its **** security and moved over to Ubuntu where the risks are much less - even so I use "NoScript" for added security. Paranoid I am.

4. Thank you both for your help, I will go and investigate. Currently got Adaware and Spybot running.

5. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

SUPERantiSpyware
    We've started using this and it's good. It's free. Google for it.

6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

If AVG found 3 trojans, that probably explains it. You only need one of them to pinch your data. By all means run a couple more programs, but you really need to think about your routine security. You should scan regularly, and think carefully about the sites you visit, especially if they try to install something.

7. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Yes Kibosh, some trojans can scoop credit card details so it is a likely answer. You would know more definately if you googled the names to see what sort of threats they are/were as well as their likely infection source. Also do beware that catching and deleting is not enough, the method of infection could easily recur - email, accessing certain sites (sharing pc with children?) etc. When you are sure your computer is clean, I would advise deleting all previous back-up and restore points because if the malware has been backed up, you could end up in the same situation again.

8. That's what I thought. I am really careful though, and do scan regularly - for some reason AVG hasn't scanned for 2 weeks, and I'm not sure why, so will be making sure it's running regularly. I don't let just anything install, and and am careful about what runs, but in this case I guess just not careful enough!
    Really good advice from everyone though, thanks! I think I'll check back and run the trojan names, see what comes up, then run a new backup with the trojans removed. Thanks!