1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spuds

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by modelmaker, Feb 9, 2011.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I would expect potatoes are probably the most frequently used vegetable in the UK, yet probably also the least promoted in recipe ideas. It's an extremely versatile vegetable too, and I am rather fond of it, so this thread is dedicated to as many variations of potato dishes you can come up with.
    What are they?

2. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

I'll start you off then,
    Potato and egg curry!
    Spanish omelette/ Tortilla
    Alloo tikki

3. anon468

anon468 New commenter

For me you cannot beat the good old jacket spud, cooked on a lower heat and for slightly longer than normal to create a good, crunchy skin (the best bit). I always coat mine with a drop of olive oil and then roll the spud in rock salt and freshly ground black pepper.
    My nearest & dearest hauls potatoes week in, week out so we haven't had to buy spuds for over 2 years. We get to try out all the fancy new varieties before Tesco's customers. The latest were these beauties:
    http://www.mayanpotatoes.co.uk/
    They were lovely - yellow flesh, quite small and the shape of a chubby torpedo. Not great boiled (quite dry in texture), but made fantastic mash.
    Not too sure about the blue potatoes though! [​IMG]

4. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Dauphinoise
    Boulangere
    Tartiflette

5. Gruyere potatoes - sliced potatoes layered with Gruyere and butter and cream
    Utterly sublime albeit a heart attack in waiting

6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Stuffed skins.
    Bombay potatoes.
    Flavoured mash.....mustard, cheese, pesto, saffron
    Saute with onions and pancetta.
    oooh..........the list goes on!
    I do, in fact, own a cookery book devoted to the humble spud.

7. BelleDuJour

Someone on here once posted a recipe for provencal potatoes, baked with tomatoes....yummy! I'll try to find it.

8. BelleDuJour

Found it!
    About 6 tomatoes
    4 large potatoes
    Butter
    Herbes de Prvence
    Slice all the potatoes and tomatoes thinly (they don't have to be transparent slices, but not doorsteps!). Line an ovenproof dish with a layer of potatoes, then cover with a layer of tomatoes. Repeat to the top of the dish. Scatter a generous helping of dried HDP on every second layer of potato, and tuck about 4-5 knobs of butter into crevices in the layers half way through, and again when you have finished the top layer.
    Cover (casserole dish with lid is ideal), and bake in the oven for about 45-50 mins (depending on oven heat), or until the potato is soft enough to poke a fork into the middle of the dish. Alternatively you can microwave it in about 12-15 mins on high at 850w-900w. The potato will cook very nicely in the butter and juices from the tomato and the herbs give it a lovely flavour.
    This much serves 4-5 as a side dish, but to be honest I could eat it all until nothing is left regardless of how full I am! Yummy and simple, especially if you have volunteers to help with the peeling spuds... [​IMG]

9. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I think my favourite is the humble roast spud - elevated to majesterial status when roasted in dripping, chicken fat or goose/duck fat.
    Best when the parboiling stage is less parboiling than boiling to within an inch of the potatoes' lives. The best roast spuds have been when I've worried I've gone too far and they've been virtually falling apart!

10. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Pommes Dauphine
    Gratin Lyonnaise
    Hot potato salad
    Cheese and potato pie
    Garlic potatoes
    Pommes au persil
    loads more but about to jump in the bath!!

11. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I can recommend the tomato/potato Provencal dish....I'v emade that quite often since I first read the recipe here!

Mash: as children we would sometimes have just mash for our main meal - made with milk, butter and a beaten egg mixed into it.
    Potato Dumplings
    Potato Salad - warm, and non-mayo dressing.
    Bratkartoffeln
    Grated Potato Cakes with Apple Mousse

12. BelleDuJour

gnocchi
    (sp?)
    [​IMG]
    Rostiut,
    Crispy skinned jacket spuds filled with meting cheese and slice onions.
    Hand cut, twice fried chips with rock salt!

13. BelleDuJour

ROSTI [​IMG]
    F'in keyboard [​IMG]

14. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Iraqi stuffed potatoes
    potato and almond balls
    Moussaka using potatoes
    Garlic and rosemary roast potatoes

15. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Latkes
    Oven wedges
    Libyan Mb'atten
    <table align="center"><tr><td align="left">
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td> </td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td align="center">
    [​IMG]
    </td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td> </td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td align="left">

Mb'atten is really a Libyan specialty dish, prepared on special
    occasions, celebrations and festivities, often with Kofta and
    couscous. It is a unique dish never to be found anywhere else
    in the world (according to our current knowledge). It is made
    of slicing potato lengthwise into thin slices (about 3mm thick)
    but keeping each two slices joined together at the base, to form
    a sandwich, which will be stuffed with minced meat and herbs
    and then fried. The remaining mix of meat and herbs can be flattened
    into small burgers, dipped into white flour and then fried to
    make Kofta.

The Stuffing: a good quantity of minced meat (beef or lamb),
    about half of the mixture should be meat, a bundle of fresh green
    dill, a bundle of fresh parsley, two bundles of spring
    onion, a bit of fresh parsley, 3 cloves of garlic (ground into
    paste), teaspoon of salt, teaspoon of hot chili, 2 teaspoon of
    turmeric, a touch of cinnamon, 3 tablespoons of tomato puree,
    and one egg. (Modern variants of the dish do not include dill any more in the ingredients.)
    </td></tr></table>

16. Tattie Scones
    Potato and bacon pie. Layers of finely sliced layers of potato onion and bacon, moisted with milk and baked for an hour or so.
    Gnocchi
    Tattie soup
    Leek and potato soup.
    pattas barvas
    potato and rosemary pizza
    druken potatoes

17. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Jansson's Temptation - one of my very favourite potato dishes; when made with proper Swedish anchovies (the Abba brand that you can buy in IKEA are the most easily available in the UK), it is utterly sensational.

18. phie mentioned leek and potato soup. I presume that's the thick kind of soup.
    MrA does an absolutely divine light soup with spinach, leeks and potato slices in it.
    Has anyone mentioned shepherd's pie?

19. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I really don't know what they were called, but the Lebanese pizza takeaway in Abdoun, Amman served pitta bread stuffed with mashed potato lightly spiced with cumin and garlic and hor, cut into quarters. It was delicious.

20. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

As do I! This cookery book also has recipes for puddings made with potatoes including a chocolate cake which is so divine, I've never made chocolate cake any other way since!
    I go through phases with food sometimes, and my favourite potato recipe of the moment is potato pancakes.
    I also love sweet potatoes - I did a cottage pie with mashed sweet and 'ordinary' potatoes the other day. There was something about the way the sweet potatoes married with the 'ordinary' potatoes which was just wonderful.