1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spring Search Job Fair

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Training_2_Teach, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Training_2_Teach

Training_2_Teach New commenter

Hi
    Did any of you guys attend it? Unfortunately limited opportunities for my subject area, none the less excellent opportunity to meet school heads,make contacts and meet new people.

Hope it went well if you attended! Share your experiences!

2. ceviche

ceviche New commenter

I went and thought it was excellent. I already have a job lined up for September, so didn't have the pressure of trying to find anything, but it was still very much worthwhile. It was my first fair, so I just wanted to see what it was like and get a feel for more international schools. Some of the presentations were very good while others were dismal - in one we just sat through a pointless 10-minute slideshow video and the head then said "OK thanks for watching - any questions?. That was one surefire way of putting people off. The best presentation was ironically the one where the projector didn't work and the head just talked to us candidly.
    Most of the schools were in the Middle East (which doesn't appeal to me) so I think in future I'd rather go to the January one.

3. ceviche

ceviche New commenter

Same here - I start on the 1st of August. The only positive is that I'll get paid two salaries at the same time (but I'd rather have a holiday!).
    Congrats on getting the BB job in Indonesia! I didn't stay for the Sunday session, but I imagine it must have been a mixture of very happy and very disappointed people. Some people were clearly desperate to get a job for September. I also was surprised by how many people had flown in from the US and elsewhere for the fair, at great expense. I expected it to be mostly people from the UK and continental Europe.

4. ceviche

ceviche New commenter

I'm going to Tanzania - very excited. Where are your offers, Woollyhoolly?

5. I remember the Tanzania being very long during interview sign ups- well done! I'm close to accepting a post in Hong Kong but slightly worried about shoebox living... ha ha so will have to sleep on it... a bit more.