1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spring is here

Discussion in 'Personal' started by grumbleweed, Feb 23, 2020.

1. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

I always think of spring when the frogspawn appears in the pond. 3 big clumps today. I'm sad enough to log this every year and it's the earliest it's been since 2010.
    Travelling around Somerset yesterday, the daffodils are out along the roadside, also quite early this year.

Have to get started on the garden now.

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

If f******* isn't.

Those are froggy ice lollies you can see.

3. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Succumbed to Wee Pee pressure to go on a bike ride today. It was sunny with a bit of a nip, but ok once warmed up with exercise. Passed a couple of young boys with daffodils they had just plucked from somewhere, and loads of people with kids and dogs out for a walk.
    Very spring-like.:)

SundaeTrifle likes this.
  4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Seen the midweek weather forecast ?

5. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

We are getting snow tonight, here at least.

6. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Spring? The floral displays in this neck of the woods involve 2 daffodils, a sprinkling of blossom buds and some snowdrops. It's absolutely freezing. Car thermometer might say 6 but the wind is strong and icy, and snow is forecast here too. Definitely still winter.

7. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

No Spring here.

8. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

We have ready to open daffodils here.

I miss my pond and I used to look forward to watching for the first frog spawn!

colpee likes this.
  9. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

We’ve got daffodils now and we even saw a few primroses when out walking this week. The sun also has a little more warmth when you can find a sheltered spot. But I agree, on the whole it’s still cold and windy.

10. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

One Jeanne d'Arc crocus has opened up amongst a cluster of green shoots.

All alone and battered by the wind.

11. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I have daffodils coming out and the snowdrops are coming to an end. Today I did a couple of hours' work in the garden, which felt like Spring. It was very pleasing.

12. Jude Fawley

I was quite lucky to catch a Monday two weeks ago to get the garden cleared up and I'm looking forward to sitting outside in a few weeks time. I'm going to make an extra special effort this year to get some vibrant colour in the scheme of things.

So many people have had a terrible time of it recently with the floods and the world can seem very difficult at times. I'm blessed with a general happiness and can find joy in small things. It'll soon be the end of the month so I can pay the bills. I can sit outside and watch the lambs when they come along. I have carrots for the horses at the back. Sometime I give them half an apple and a small carrot each: bleedin luxury. So, as Spring approaches I'm counting my blessings. I'm even going to shout at my mum on the phone because it's the only way she can hear me. Not long now and the dreariness will be over. When we stop for a moment and consider how really incredible it all is and how lucky we are. I think it's truly fantastic! Here comes another Spring (considering we still have March to get through), another season on our journey and a time to reflect and just be.

emerald52, Marshall, colpee and 5 others like this.
  13. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Another spring nearer to extinction.
    I'm dangerously cheerful today.

14. Jude Fawley

Exactly. There's not many left. We'd better make the best of them. "for some it was just another year: another time of change and growth, but for others it was the end of times"

Aquamarina1234 likes this.
  15. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

The fields around are full of daffodils and the pickers are hard at work( well, the ones you can see through the rain!)

16. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

Blimey Jude you are sounding remarkably chipper and upbeat tonight. Can I have some of what you’re on?

Alice K and primarycat like this.
  17. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Had a walk around Warwick yesterday. St Nicholas park had snowdrops by the thousand, a huge patch of yellow crocus and daffs flowering all over.

18. WB

WB Senior commenter

I had the air-con on in the car today.

19. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

My mini tulips are out in their pots on the steps.
    Best time of year watching everything bloom. My favourite is the blackthorn. Magical. What're yours?
    upload_2020-2-23_21-52-2.jpeg
    Also love red tulips
    [​IMG]

emerald52 likes this.
  20. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

We walked by the river in Oxford today, on a path that was recently flooded. Two crocuses had somehow managed to throw up their flowers in spite of having recently been under water. Today I also saw loads of daffodils, and Blackthorn flowering easily a month early. Weird.

emerald52 likes this.