1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spreadsheet lesson help

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by benrothwell, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Hi all,

Got myself into a bit of a pickle... needed to look at spreadsheets with year 7s... so started without really thinking through where this was ending up....

Have told them that they are going to be running a cafe/pizza shop

So the first couple of lessons have been devoted to

- entering data
    - formatting data
    - adding simple formulas (division and multiplication so far)
    - adding =roundup() and =sum() functions

They did this by researching soft drinks to sell at the cafe in the form cans and working out price per can, how many cans required, how many packs required (rounding up because you can't buy a 1/2 a pack)

Where would you go from here...

Ideally want to look at some sort of charts/graphs at some point. But i want the topic to appear to be lifelike and relevant.

2. Sorry, did this in Chrome and it stripped formatting...

3. My reply is based on the ICT Learning objectives devised by National Strategies to cover the current National curriculum. clearly you'll have a range of abilities and some children might be ready to move onto Y8 ones so I've included these too.
    Year 7
    • recognise the difference between data, text and formulae in a computer model and organise these so that the model is fit for purpose
    They need to be able to explain these and to be able to set up their model so it works.
    • use a model to predict an outcome
    They need to be able to use the sheet to model scenarios by changing variables such as
    working out total prices for combinations of orders etc. (I'm assuming you've
    got more than just drinks on the sheet.)
    • explain how rules govern a model
    They need to be able to explain how the model does the calculations, how the formulae work, and what would happen if they were changed.
    • obtain information from a model and check this for plausibility
    Again, use the model to solve problems and check their answers. This will mean asking them to make an estimate of their expected answer and where it doesn't give the right answer, check the model to see where it's going wrong.

Year 8
    • combine variables within a model in different ways to form rules.
    • recognise that the rules contained within a model determine its output, and make more complex predictions based on several variables.
    • amend existing simple models by changing variables and formulae
    They need to be able to change the rules of the sheet by perhaps
    adding new products, adjusting formulae as needed, and to work out
    things like offers of discounts. E.g. A cell which works out 10%
    discount, or adds a delivery charge etc.
    You could take them further by asking them to use 'If" functions to work out a discount automatically for orders over say £10.
    It's hard to be more specific wthout knowing what the spreadsheet contains.
    If you message me with your email, I'll send you some ready-made spreadsheets with different levels of difficulty I did ages ago for modelling a pizza takeaway.
    Re- charts/graphs. What did you have in mind? What data will you be using?

4. Thanks. A really comprehensive answer.

To be honest, I wasn't really sure what I had in mind. I entered into this unit of work because we finished early with something else and I was going to prepare something rigorous over christmas.. but as well all know.. best laid plans.

I have PM'ed you my email. Many thanks