1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spreadsheet in resources - GCSE overall % calculator

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by FrauSue, Jul 1, 2011.

1. FrauSue

FrauSue New commenter

2. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

I am not an MFL teacher but I saw this on the front page. This may be good for very generic calculations but it will not be a good indicator of predicted grades.
    It doesn't take into account (at all) the issue of Raw Mark to UMS calculations and how the weightings work. The grade boundaries can vary considerably between different elements of the exam (I assume this is true in MFL). Just aggregating the marks to come up with a final exam mark is useful for ranking students, but not for predicting grades.
    I can see how this can be/is useful for some kind of internal monitoring and for quicker calculations, but I would not be using it to predict grades.

3. FrauSue

FrauSue New commenter

Good point - by "grades" I mean % marks (e.g. for internal exams). There is no facility to convert the skills percentages to UMS points before calculating the total overall %. So you're right - it's a tool to help with internal monitoring rather than a grade prediction device. Once this year's UMS points are published I might see if I can build that in at all.
    What it is useful for is seeing how pupils within a set/year group match up to each other within the new GCSE system (e.g. pupils who are weak in speaking and writing but better at comprehension now come off worse than they would have in the old system).
    Hope that clarifies things.

4. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Excellent. Glad you clarified. I am always worried when I see the words "predicted grades".
    You are correct. It is a good way for comparing stats/strengths within a cohort.