1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Spouse Visa - China

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Newstein, Jun 6, 2019.

  1. Newstein

    Newstein New commenter

    If my wife gets her work visa, and I wish to join her, will I be given a visa automatically for the duration of her stay? If yes, what class visa will that be? If not, on what visa can I join her? Visitor? We are both over 60.
  2. february31st

    february31st Established commenter

    At the age of 60 the only cities you can get a work visa will be in the ”sticks”. But if your wife does get a visa you will be eligible for a dependents visa due to your marriage certificate. This will not allow you to work in China unfortunately.
    spanboy likes this.
  3. sidekick125

    sidekick125 New commenter

    Agreed, from my experience, in Beijing, people approaching 60 have had to leave China as the government would not renew their work visa.
    spanboy likes this.
  4. spanboy

    spanboy Occasional commenter

    You should get an S1 visa which will be linked to your wife's Z visa. Out of curiosity, @Newstein , where in China are you both going?
    Lana55 likes this.
  5. HelloWanderlust

    HelloWanderlust New commenter

    My husband was my “trailing spouse” in China. His visa lasted for the same amount of time as mine. My school sorted it all out for him. He wasn’t technically allowed to get a job in China but he actually worked remotely for his company back home. I knew of other spouses who ended up employed at the school. I’m not sure what happened with the visa. It was a reputable school so I presume they switched them over.
    Lana55 likes this.
  6. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    HelloWanderlust has got it right, I think.

    As her overweight hubby was teaching at a school in Shenzhen, Mrs. Hippopotamus was also given a visa. She was not supposed to work, of course, but she did some one--to-one piano lessons and she embarked on her career as an international model. It sounds terribly glamorous and it was well-paid. The bad news is that it was totally unreliable and often she would have to spend ages travelling and then hanging around, waiting.
    Lana55 likes this.
  7. Lana55

    Lana55 New commenter

  8. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    Guangdong is the province, I think. Probably you will be in Guangzhou or Shenzhen, Lana55. If it is the latter, then maybe you might enjoy reading my blog about teaching in SZ, bulgariawithnoodles.blogspot.com
  9. spanboy

    spanboy Occasional commenter

    Nice to know that some places in China are still employing post 60. Hope all goes well for you both!

Share This Page