1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spotting students with a hidden talent for science

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Shedman, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Have any colleagues out there spotted a talented student in any subject, encouraged them and they turned out to a leading authority in their chosen field?

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

One of my first O Level students (yes, that dates me), whom I taught for 4 years until he left the school, studied my subject at University, took a PhD in it, became a lecturer at Cambridge before moving on to a post in another University. He has also appeared on TV discussing topics in his subject (though not very often - not a household name). Even at 14, when I first knew him, he was outstanding and - perhaps crucially - extremely interested in the subject. I'm just glad I didn't put him off!

PS It wasn't in Science!

3. wanet

wanet Star commenter

I remeber a couple who were outstanding from a long time ago. Regularly came to the science dept. at lunchtime with a query to be discussed. One became a doctor, one worked at Cern. the latter gave it up eventually and worked in the City. fed up of low pay, went where the money was.

4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

My best recent student, who went to Cambridge to do chemistry was sick and tired of it by the end of the degree and went into accountancy as did many of my peers way back when.