1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spotting in early pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by littlemisschatterbox86, Dec 12, 2011.

1. littlemisschatterbox86

littlemisschatterbox86 New commenter

Hi all, sorry if this is too much information but I am not sure who to ask. I found out last week I was pregnant and went to see the doctor. He dated me at 5 weeks (since my last period) but I think I am only 2-3 weeks pregnant. This weekend I noticed some spotting, not enough to be like a period, just a brown/pink discharge. This has been on and off for the last 3 days. Has anyone else experienced this? I have an appointment with the midwife on Thursday so will ask her. Was just after some advice before then. I haven't had any cramps recently, had a few last week but well before the spotting (if that is what it is)?
    Thanks in advance.

2. littlemisschatterbox86

Hi all, sorry if this is too much information but I am not sure who to ask. I found out last week I was pregnant and went to see the doctor. He dated me at 5 weeks (since my last period) but I think I am only 2-3 weeks pregnant. This weekend I noticed some spotting, not enough to be like a period, just a brown/pink discharge. This has been on and off for the last 3 days. Has anyone else experienced this? I have an appointment with the midwife on Thursday so will ask her. Was just after some advice before then. I haven't had any cramps recently, had a few last week but well before the spotting (if that is what it is)?
    Thanks in advance.

3. I had spotting at about week 6 with my first pregnancy...saw the midwife in HUGE panic...was told it's actually quite normal for light spotting in pregnancy. Had a scan to be sure and there was a little bean with a heartbeat. She's now a lively two year old.....As it's so early you could be having implantation bleeding, totally normal but no less worrying.

4. naomi58

naomi58 New commenter

If your last period was 5 weeks ago, you are classed as 5 weeks pregnant. Hope that makes sense! Lots of people experience bleeding during pregnancy and it doesn't necessarily mean that anything is wrong. I've had three bleeds and all is ok so far. Get medical advice if it puts your mind at ease - you don't have to wait until Thursday. The only advice I could give would be to keep calm and don't do anything too strenuous, I'm sure everything will be ok. Good luck! x

5. littlemisschatterbox86

Thanks for your advice, I rang the doctor and they want me to go in tomorrow morning, which means I'm going to have to tell school, didn't want to tell them until after christmas. Were you 6 weeks as the doctor dated or since you concieved? Im wondering if it is too early to do a scan?

6. Hi
    I had it too, at around 6 weeks. I had a scan at 7 weeks and saw the heartbeat, and I'm now nearly ready to burst. It could be implantation bleeding or you could have just knocked something with various activities!
    Hope all goes well.

7. I had early bleeding with both my pregnancies (I'm 36 weeks and have a 32 month old). In both cases I was sent for an early scan and all was OK. Probably I would leave it and see midwife - you are too early for a scan really (I would avoid before 6 and a half - 7 weeks). My own experience is that GPs tend to be very negative about early preg and bleeding so that is unlikely to reassure you. FWIW in terms of implantation bleeding I had bleeding at 25 weeks with this one and was told THAT could be implantation!!!!!!

8. All pregnancies are dated from last menstrual period (lmp) not from date of conception. It's not as accurate but it's an easy across-the-board way to measure it. So everyone always goes by date of lmp to date pregnancy until they are measured at later scans. Hope that helps!

9. If it's any consolation I had brown spotting yesterday and had a mini freak out. Of course today it was gone, there was really nothing to worry about but I just automatically panic due to my miscarriage history. Everything seems fine today though!!