1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spots at 33! What skincare products?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Milliemoo13, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Milliemoo13

Milliemoo13 New commenter

Hello,

I know that this subject pales in to absolute insignificance to some of the other posts on this forum but I'm just looking for some advice.
    I came off the pill 9 months ago to start trying for a baby and my skin has been truly awful since then! I've always had really good skin with break outs restricted to period times but now it's horrific. My cheeks are covered in small red marks where I've picked and I'm suffering from huge red inflamed lumps on my chin. They aren't your average spot, with a head that you can squeeze ( sorry for tmi), they are red, throbbing, oil producing lumps that are painful to touch.
    So I'm reconsidering my skincare regime, I currently use the Eurcerin dermopurifyer range and have done for the past 3/4 years but I get married at the start of June and it's just not cutting it anymore!
    I'm considering Avené or the Nip+Fab glycolic range and wondered if anyone had any experiences with any or could recommend anything else? I've tried the Clinique range a few years ago and that wasn't for me either
    Thanks for any advice xx

2. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Hi Millie,
    I absolutely sympathise with you and my advice would be to go to your local beauty salon if possible. Dermalogica sorted my skin out, the initial cost is quite a bit, but each product lasts for ages so it's money well spent if you can afford it. Clinique lotion strips your skin and the yellow moisturiser doesn't have SPF protection. I am currently using Beauty Naturals (the are an on-line firm, just Google to get their range) and the team there will give you free skin care advice. I have also tried Clarins but the range is so enormous and expensive - I find that Simple works equally as well. The beauty ladies behind the counters will only sell/advise you to buy the products they receive commission on.

If you've been trying different ranges, then your skin is reacting to all the changes you are putting it through - if the beauty salon is not possible just stick to Simple (the little travel pack will last you about a month and is less than £10) or any other range for sensitive skin. For me, the Boots sensitive range was no good (I think the cheaper ingredients in the products irritated my skin). For my 50th birthday, my sons gave me a 1/2 day spa treatment at an Elemis salon and after a wonderful massage, facial, body scrub, I bought their wonder-product-moisturuser costing £75 (well I thought I'm only 50 once!) Well, I broke out in lots of tiny red pimple type spots that were so sore, even to just frown an tiny bit gave me a burning sensation. I returned the product and asked why this had happened. Apparently Elemis products have strong essential oils, which are good for your skin type, and a few skins do react to the concentrated essential oils.

Good luck with the wedding preparations - keep us posted as to how you get on with your skin!

slingshotsally likes this.
  3. sopsychedout

sopsychedout New commenter

I have combination skin and use the clinique anti blemish range, the sheer city block lotion and anti blemish concealer. I also use silver serum.

4. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Try freederm from the chemist, if that doesn't work go to the drs as this sounds like acne and needs medical treatment. The pill used to stop my acne and it returned when I came off it. I also swear by Liz Earles cleanse and polish.

5. Milliemoo13

Milliemoo13 New commenter

Thank you all for taking the time to reply xxx

6. paeony

paeony Occasional commenter

Argh, cystic acne is blooming horrid, I've had it all my life since teenage years.

I've recently started the Korean/Asian skincare regime and wow, what a difference!

It's a bit 'odd' in that you double cleanse: once with an oil based on to remove make up etc then a foaming cleanser and a Konjac sponge (£1 in tiger!).

Then I use a hydrating toner, serum and gel moisturiser. Everything is light as a feather, water based and not greasy.

Maybe for oily T zone try a toner with salisylic acid to treat the oily areas, and an 'on the spot' treatment.

Twice a week I exfoliate and use a sheet mask (not glam but v effective!!)

Even oil cleansing you'd think makes spots worse but it doesn't; it's gentler on the skin and doesn't provoke it into producing yet more oil.

Over 20+ years I've learned harsh treatments just nark my skin more. Gentle but thorough cleansing and light moisturisers (try the new garnier hydrobomb) calm and restore balance rather than over drying and irritating skin.

Best advice though? Don't pick them....they go away much faster. Easier said than done but less scarring and marks.

7. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Thanks for all those posting...

I have hideous face-aching spots which are leaving deep, dark scarring.

Never before have I experienced spots on throat and back of neck. They are even in my eyebrows.

Please, Please advise me>>

SSS

8. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Also

Spots in hair, back of ears...

SSS

9. sjca

sjca New commenter

I used to used skincare for spots but didn't seem to work but then I had a really good facial and she told me to simplify the routine with a face wash for sensitive skin (simple is good) then just moisturise. Before I was basically stripping my skin and it went it to overdrive to compensate.
    I used Ren now the Ever Calm range just the face wash and moisturiser daily then I scrub and face pack once a week.

Milliemoo13 and slingshotsally like this.
  10. Laura_0123

Laura_0123 New commenter

Try Tropic Skincare - natural, cruelty free etc. I used them and now sell them ( although not trying to do a sales pitch!) but they really worked for my skin and when I have a breakout I use the Tamanu balm on my spots and they are cleared up in a few days.

Someone I work with also uses Neals yard and raves about that.
    xx

11. lunarita

lunarita Senior commenter

Lush's AquaMarina keeps both spots and sensitivity under control for me. It's not expensive so definitely worth a try.

12. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

In addition to what products you use to cleanse and moisturise, consider what younare eating. Jane Plant has written a book about diet and health and she advises a plant based diet and not to drink or eat dairy products.

13. kerensaann

kerensaann New commenter

dermaologica is the only product that works for me! I also got a prescription antibiotic cream which is brilliant.

14. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Sorry for coming to this thread very late.

Since leaving teaching 2 years ago, I have been working with a skincare/spa brand found in Harrods and in spas around the country. The company is British and cruelty free.

I signed up to work with them having suffered terribly with acne throughout my 20s. These products have been wonderful not only in keeping my acne at bay, but also in nourishing my skin and giving it back its elasticity and suppleness.

Should anyone like any information or advice (I have considerable experience and training with these products) please do send me a private message, as I don't wish to advertise on TES since I think that's inappropriate.

There is no obligation, naturally.

Eva xxx

15. fantastischfish

Exfoliation is very likely a key here, Sally. For help with scarring, please do get in touch privately and I'm happy to advise you on a really great product xx

16. tackles

tackles Occasional commenter

After years of bad skin, I came to the conclusion that gentler was better, as it gave my skin less to complain about.

I use Avene gentle cleansing gel instead of soap or shower gel on my face, and make sure that I use a light moisturiser afterwards. It took a number of months for my skin to settle down, but so far, so good. I also use a facial scub, to help shift dead skin cells before they have a chance to cause a problem.

At night, I use Decleor oil & balm, expensive, but a little goes a long way. I found I had a really bad reaction to Clarins facials, and haven't touched them since. I used to (20 years ago - ooh, my age!) use Clinique clarifying lotion to remove excess fake tan. Gentle, it isn't...

It took years, and much trial and error to find a routine my skin likes. Even so, I still have occasions when it objects and breaks out. At that point, I tend to use milk (as in semi-skimmed, not cosmetic) on cotton wool as a cleanser, followed by rinsing in tepid water. After a week or so, tends to settle down. Not as mad as it sounds, milk contains a lot of things that are found in cosmetic treatments! The main bonus to using it, is that it doesn't contain preservative, which is what I think irritates my skin.

17. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Adult acne ? It happens . See a dermatologist and take it from there. Skin problems can be notoriously difficult to shift though( touch wood ) I have rarely had problems .

emerald52, pepper5 and slingshotsally like this.
  18. fantastischfish

Seeing a dermatologist is certainly advisable. I did. I took the relevant medications for years, including quite severe Accutane which broken the back of my acne and stopped the constant lumps and bumps all over my skin.

However, the medication does STRIP your skin of goodness. And it very much depends what is causing your acne. Medication is designed to stop the skin from over-producing sebum, which ultimately ends up causing spots when pores are clogged dirt and dead skin: the oil continue to be produced, cannot go anywhere due to the blockage, and then causes inflammation under the skin that appears as a spot.

Medication will help if you are especially oily. But good skin care will further help to put back the goodness that the medication strips away. It was following my treatment that I sought advice re: skin care. I was prepare to invest. I visited the usual counters: Clinique, Clarins, Estee Lauder, and more. I tried a lot of things. But I was always advised that I needed the oily range, the anti-blemish range, and it was all far too harsh on my skin.

I went to a trusted friend who is a beauty therapist, who recommended a range from Temple Spa for me. I'd had these products used on me during facials at a couple of spas and decided to invest. I used these products for around 4 years and the difference was incredible. Now I've left teaching, I've involved in the company and love advising other women about products that I really believe in and which I've invested in myself over the years.

pepper5 and slingshotsally like this.
  19. SundaeTrifle

SundaeTrifle Occasional commenter

I like Quinoderm. It is cheap and works on two fronts: it sloughs off dead skin cells and is antibacterial.

20. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

After a blow out on Estee Lauder, I particularly loved the distinctive smell of the day cream. Took me ages to work out what it was and looking at the (VERY) small print ingredients list, I realised it was cucumber I was smelling! We went away for a few days in July and I forgot to pack my EL, so went to Boots and bought their cucumber range (cheap as chips as buy 2 get one free x twice, the whole range cost me £6 !!!). I now alternate the ranges and my skin has rarely looked so healthy. I do think good skin is down to good genes, as well as taking time to care for your skin properly - the price is not really a factor.

Any ideas how to get rid of slacking neck muscles? I was horrified when my dear husband said at the weekend that I had a puffy face - not fat, he said, but puffy. While preening in the mirror yesterday, I was shocked to see how my neck was so old looking! I am 57 and no wrinkles apart from very slight creases when I smile.

And do any other "ladies of a certain age" find hot flushes come.....then go......then come.....then go....? I'm better than I was 2 years ago but it's still unsettling when it happens. One good thing - aimed at DH this one :mad: hot flush = calories LOST, so bring it on :cool:

This is an informative , fun thread in an "all too negative sometimes" forum!

Joni xx