1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Spot the mistake' maths worksheets

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Nazard, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

A-level exam papers? [​IMG]

2. I would just call it 'common mistakes' or 'misconceptions'.

Although it's not a worksheet, I would like to mention a game I've been working on called

Maths Misconceptions

It's rules are similar to the 'million pound drop' and you have to decide whether each statement is true or false. I keep adding more common mistakes each time I think of them..

It's quite a powerful teaching tool when a pupil is 100% certain they are right and then lose all their money when they get question wrong, they never make the same mistake again!

3. Not for much longer the way things are going [​IMG]
    As for the original question....Im not sure they have or need a name per se.
    A good idea would be to take the examiners reports from past papers and compile a booklet of questions that pupils lose marks on time and time again and again.
    You may also look on the flip of this and speak to, or listen, to a rep from the exam boards on how exams are marked...you may be suprised.
    I appreciate this is very much exam driven rather than too formative but is a good tool for kids.
    There are some good AQA A level books that show good bad and ugly answers to questions going through why and what makes them better

4. pinkkaz

pinkkaz New commenter

Nice game! It's a bit pedantic but t x t = 2t sometimes...!

5. mature_maths_trainee

mature_maths_trainee New commenter

Thanks - the game looks nice too. :)

Given the near-global market for a comprehensive set of a set of 'spot the mistake' worksheet resources, I'm surprised not to have found more. I'd imagine they'd be most effective if completed in a range of handwriting styles, and preferably with the (albeit possibly fake) students name at the top. I'm thinking of celebrities, or cartoon characters known by the students, so that they feel they are marking / criticising a 'real' character's work. That would help with engagement IMO.
    Guess I'll have to pursue this (on a small scale, at least) myself. :)