1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spot observation week - need advice

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by SBW2009, Oct 13, 2009.

1. SBW2009

SBW2009 New commenter

<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="5" style="table-layout:fixed;"><tr><td>Hi all
    I've changed schools and now hod, really enjoying it. I've moved from a similar school and keep getting praise about my behaviour management and resources, so i'm thinking all is well!

We've just had our spot observation week and i'm really gutted. The first lesson they saw me was with Y10 on the 3rd hour of a triple. I got a satisfactory because there wasn't an exam question or similar as every lesson needs to have an assessment in it (the other 2 hours did as was on a case study but this topic didn't lead itself to one). Second obs (again satisfactory) was on Y7 and they didn't like the fact there wasn't an assessment (double lesson, 2nd was an assessment based on the lesson previous and pupils have level descriptives available in the 1st hour).

So my point is - do people have this in other schools? My previous one was happy to see continues planning (to see where assessments were etc, and pupils were aware of where they were etc) and happy to see progress in the lesson. I wasn't warned over their focus by HOF as i would have changed the Y10 (didn't think i needed to with Y7 as it was written as a two part lesson showing assessment).

Thanks all[​IMG] SBW</td></tr><tr><td class="smalltext"><table style="table-layout:fixed;"><tr><td class="smalltext" colspan="2"> </td></tr></table></td></tr></table>

2. This we are being told is the new focus of OFSTED. I would like to know however if it is true that if in a 20 minute period if OFSTED do not see assement that the lesson is deemed unsatisfactory?
    Like your school we too had spot observations, and many were marked down for not having shown assessment within that 20 minute time slot.
    Am I right in thinking that assessment does not have to be of the written kind and so for example a formal test, say the spoken knowledge of the meaning of keywords, would be enough to tick the box?

Like SBW I'd like to know more on this matter.
    Thank you for your time.

3. SBW2009

SBW2009 New commenter

Don't we all hate observations - now in my new school its even more focused on mock papers - anyone got any suggestions about how to use them effectively?

4. Look at your learning outcomes and find an exam question/assessment activity that
    fits them. Introducing that question/assessment and letting the students try it is your starter.
    Success will probably be low but students are well-motivated and engaged by wanting to know
    how they achieve. Do your first learning activity to support your outcomes, and have a pit-stop
    to find out what the students think they need to do next. Repeat the process as necessary and
    your plenary is repeating the initial assessment. AFL and progress is shown throughout
    by targeted pit-stops.

Eg A2 question asking to describe Weiner's attribution theory with practical examples. Students
    don't have a clue to begin with! Learning activities based around what Weiner's attribution theory
    is. Pit-stops identify that we need to get a grasp of practical examples to answer the question.
    Learning activities then focus on the practical examples. Plenary sees a whole-scale improvement
    in response to exam question.

5. newyorkdoll

newyorkdoll New commenter

Spot observation week? Crikey we have spot observations every week of every term, of every year!!

6. In our recent Ofsted (last month) some teachers were graded as 'Satisfactory' if there was no evidence of progress through assessment during the 20 minute observation - very harsh on teachers who usually get 'outstanding' or 'good' during PM obs when the whole lesson is observed.
    To add to the unfairness of Ofsted inspections, one teacher, generally known to be lazy, relies on copying from text books and who does not use learning objectives, afl or differentiation, maanged to get 'outstanding'. Some of us were amazed, pleased for him and for the school but still left wondering what went on. A TA was in the lesson and said that the lesson was amazing, but totally different from his usual lessons. Then last week in a CPD training session on how to teach outstanding lessons, the bloke admitted that he used a lesson plan word for word from a colleague who was teaching the same topic!! Good for him for admitting it but not fair really. Mind you, he is now one of an elite group of outstanding teachers who the rest of us have been told to observe so he will have to work hard to maintain the standard as SMT will also want to see him in action!!