1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sports Day, staff race. Do you take part?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Wotworklifebalance, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Wotworklifebalance

Wotworklifebalance New commenter

I work at a small village school. Last year at Sports Day there was great pressure for a staff race. We agreed, but to take the heat out of things (to encourage participation by a very un-sporty staff) a bit did a bean-bag on the head race. None of the non-teaching staff took part.
    Sports Day looms again (weather permitting). Once again we are looking forward to the staff race, and think that we may have a walking backwards race this year ... we might break the flower pot stilts! Once again the non-teaching staff are refusing to take part. I did ask if there was a race that they would prefer but to no avail.
    Any-one faced a similar boycott?

2. Wotworklifebalance

I work at a small village school. Last year at Sports Day there was great pressure for a staff race. We agreed, but to take the heat out of things (to encourage participation by a very un-sporty staff) a bit did a bean-bag on the head race. None of the non-teaching staff took part.
    Sports Day looms again (weather permitting). Once again we are looking forward to the staff race, and think that we may have a walking backwards race this year ... we might break the flower pot stilts! Once again the non-teaching staff are refusing to take part. I did ask if there was a race that they would prefer but to no avail.
    Any-one faced a similar boycott?

3. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Good for them!
    It's very difficult to say no when there is social pressure to take part in something that you really don't want to do. If everybody enjoys this kind of thing, then it is fun and can be good for team building. But nobody should have to take part if they would feel uncomfortable doing so - people who are happy to make fools of themselves in a classroom, might feel more self-conscious in front of parents.

4. zannar

zannar New commenter

I am a teacher in a small village school.I hate this type of pressure to perform. The day is for parents to see their children race, for the children to see parents participate if they wish, but it is not for me.

I am not a killjoy and often make a fool of myself in front of the children during the day and we have lots of fun. This, for me personally, is a step too far and I will continue to refuse.

5. Wotworklifebalance

But what about the children who don't want to take part? How could I encourage them to take part and then refuse myself when the same children ask me to take part?

6. zannar

zannar New commenter

How do you get them to participate in the rest of school life? Teachers are teachers, pupils are pupils.

7. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Let them watch and cheer their friends on!. I do make all children participate in PE lessons, but I wouldn't force an unwilling child to participate in Sports Day.
    In all the years that I've been teaching, I've only ever had a couple of children who didn't want to join in. I've got them changed into their PE kits just in case, but if it came to the race, and they really didn't want to do it, then I didn't make them. After all, it's supposed to be a bit of fun.

8. We have a parent race - always get loads of entries from our competitive parents !!! If there is time we have a toddler race that has been popular too.
    If there was a staff race I wouldn't take part either, if the sporty staff want to that's up to them !

9. titus4t

titus4t New commenter

I (as a member of staff) ran in the parents race last year. Apparently some parents didn't like this. Do you think it was because I won (which was as much of a surprise to me as to anyone else) or do they have a point?

10. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We have a female adult race ( ie Mums, big sisters, aunts etc) a similar male race ( lots of Grtandads in that one!) a parent and child egg and spoon race and a staff "obstacle" race. Everyone joined in and we had great fun! It depends on the staff and the atmosphere!

11. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

I wouldn't take part in any kind of race and I would never force a child to race either. I also remember as a child, being horribly embarrassed by teachers making total twats of themselves in the teachers' race.

12. I don't do the teacher's race. I physically can't run due to MSK problems.
    Parents race has now been banned in our borough after one of our parents tripped and broke their leg last year.

13. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

If we had one I would take part, mainly because I couldn't take the ribbing from my class for chickening out. I wouldn't have a hope of winning, but would do it to show that even totally useless runners can have a good time making a twit of themselves.

However, I am eternally grateful that we don't have one!