1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

sports day ideas

Discussion in 'Primary' started by coco-crusty, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Hi we have sports day next week, not had a chance to think about it yet as we have had produciton etc as everyone else. We need ideas for a novelty race, we have a traditoinal sports day with running races and a novelty race for each class, we have got a dressing up game for the recption children but not sure what to do with the year one and two children. We have done paired races before with aiming beanbags into hoops, then skipping etc but wanted something new this year. any ideas??? Thanks

2. Hi we have sports day next week, not had a chance to think about it yet as we have had produciton etc as everyone else. We need ideas for a novelty race, we have a traditoinal sports day with running races and a novelty race for each class, we have got a dressing up game for the recption children but not sure what to do with the year one and two children. We have done paired races before with aiming beanbags into hoops, then skipping etc but wanted something new this year. any ideas??? Thanks

3. teamadmiral

teamadmiral New commenter

Waddle with a quoit (is that the right word - smallish rubber ring) between knees.

4. Thanks for that I'll add that to the list. My ideas completly dry up at this time of year.

5. teamadmiral

teamadmiral New commenter

We also did a 'hockey skills' race this year but it was a bit of a nightmare with the younger ones. Weaving a hockey ball in between cones using hockey stick. Older ones enjoyed it though.

6. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

Not quite what you are asking, but if you have a portable PA system, just before the parents race play the Vangelis Chariots of Fire song. They fall about.

I have done this a few times - also "it's raining men" as they line up always brings a chuckle. "Sisters are doing it for themselves" works for the mothers' race.

Funnily enough it's our sports day tomorrow. Must remmeber to take the CDs...

Trust me. Just don't tell your head...

7. Sounds like a good idea, anything to make it more bearable. It goes on for so long!! Trying to get children to cheer enthusiastically for that long is very difficult.

8. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

OK, I dare you...!