1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sports Day as a kid - did you love it or loathe it?!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tartetatin, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Hi. Have just returned from my 9 year old daughter's sports day. She did very well, bless her, even if her skipping does leave a lot to be desired! [​IMG]
    It really brought it all back to me .... though I'm sure this Scottish weather was far better when I was a child!
    Were you a sporty kid and did you love or dread Sports Days at school?

2. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

I managed never to participate in Sport's Day at secondary school - I had learned by then that I didn't enjoy the ritual humiliation firstly of not winning anything, and secondly of being dissed by my peers after the event. Primary school was a little better (from what I remember), but it was a small village school, and a much lower key affair.

3. Hated it - but as a teacher always used to organise an annual 'fun' one for years 7 and 8 - with three-legged races, egg and spoon, obstacle courses, quoits, wheelbarrows etc, ending with a fund-raising '10p to throw a wet sponge at your tutor' event. There were games galore and rosettes and certificates of one sort or another for every one....mostly jokey ones.
    It probably wouldn't be allowed now for H&S reasons but it was great fun and even the reluctant joined in. No kit needed, just pumps/trainers, and on a non-uniform day too.
    So many kids hate sports....Why?

4. In my personal experience, if you're not naturally athletic PE (and Sports Day in particular) is torture. The other students relish the opportunity to take the mick out of anyone who is ungainly/unfit/slow/uncoordinated and yet every student is forced to participate. The feeling of being utterly useless and having your inferiority witnessed by a large crowd of peers, staff and parents is horrendous. Often the teaching staff can be very harsh in their criticisms, which makes you even less enthusiastic about joining in; and if your classmates feel you've stopped their team from winning you never hear the end of it.
    Even all these years later I have to force myself to participate in physical exercise as bad experiences at school put me off, and I know plenty of others who feel the same. It should be enjoyable, not merely competitive.

5. I loved it ...it was the only time of the year that you could wipe the smirks off the faces of the geeky,speccy,spotty, a rse creeping swots who continually got VGs and A+s and well dones and gold stars and....I'd better stop now.

6. I absolutely hated it.
    I was excused all PE and Sports in secondary school. Some of the schools I attended allowed me to sit in the library and study (...and yes Bauble, I was speccy, decidedly geeky and a tad <strike>arse-creeping</strike> pathetically desperate for teachers' approval ....although thankfully spot-free!) whilst other schools had nasty, vile, sadistic PE teachers who forced me to stand outside and watch the others - and sports was always a double period so 90 minutes or more standing still (or get yelled at by the PE teacher for distracting the others!).
    Sports Day was a whole long day of just standing around (the seats were for guests not pupils) when I could have been doing something useful like Maths!

7. Hated it! Although luckily this does not seem to have filtered down to my daughters who are very proudly 2nd fastest girl in year 4 and 3rd fastest in reception class respectively :p

8. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Hated it.....really HATED it! [​IMG]

9. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

Loved sport (still do), but hated Sports Day with a passion as it was only running races (both primary and secondary). Secondary school threw in some hurdles for good measure.
    I had ribbons and medals for gymnastics and trampolining (and was a fair tennis player) but when I tried to run as fast as I could on a track, I just fell over my own feet. Bah. [​IMG]

10. I wasn't a swot, geeky or spotty and they only ever managed to wipe that smile off my face twice! Once in 100m when on school grass and I went into a hole and the second, when I didn't get the years trophy... DAMN YOU! I got it the next year.. hahaha
    I loved sport and I was gooooooood.
    I was the one they all hated because they didn't know how I worked, wanted to fight me but were too scared to find out what I'd do to them, and I was good at my work.
    What can I say, I'm super awesome [​IMG] with baggage.

11. So you were good at sports and good at writng an' **** an learnin' and stuff.......wow....but then again you are only a figment of my imagination. :&not;))

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

The combination of hating all forms of competition and all forms of sport ensured that I loathed sports' day - couldn't see the point then and can't see the point now.

13. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

Loathed it with a passion.

14. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I loved it in Primary and I think I came and 2nd and 3rd for a few things. I was quite good at the egg and spoon, 3 legged and sack races. The weather was always nice. I don't remember anything like this in Secondary school (not sure if my school did it), though I do remember PE. How bizarre. I really can't remember much about Secondary school at all. All my memories are of Primary.

15. Sunny day, sitting on the grass watching the events for the price of a quick race or two, all over in 30 secs. What was there not to like? It was better than school. You have to focus on the positive.

16. I guess you didn't bother applying for those Olympic tickets.

17. Hated it. Luckily at secondary school only people who signed up for events participated and the rest of us got to just support our house teams from the sidelines.
    Horrible at primary school - I still remember having to take part in events and doing some running - being not very athletic I came last, ages after everyone else, and I can remember everyone cheering me on. Although people wouldn't say that isn't bad and that at least they were cheering to me it was a negative experience as I knew everyone was focusing on me and I generally felt humilated and upset that teachers would put me in a situation where I would end up looking stupid (I was, and still am to some extent, incredibly shy which the teachers all knew)

18. Those are my memories of it too. The smell of newly mown grass still conjures up the playing fields for me.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

God, no. I won't even see a single event on the tv - I just don't do sport in any form.
    I'll also miss the commonwealth games, wimbledon and any other event you care to name.

20. moonpenny

moonpenny New commenter

We didn't have a sports day but did this thing were we trudged aroung the estate that surrounded the school - a sort of cross country mooch without the countryside.
    Most kids used to go round as slowly as humanly possible in huge gangs ,probably half scaring the local pensioner population .
    The odd teacher went round the route in their car and none of them noticed that me and my friend nipped off to my nan's down a side street to cadge a drink and some food off her.
    Two hours later we got back to the school, not the slightest bit out of breath, having raided my nan's buscuit supply (she never had a fridge) and none of the teachers seemed very concerned that we had broken the world speed limit for the taking the longest time possible....I think they were just glad to get rid of us all for an afternoon and weren't that bothered whether we made it back or not......