1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spooky

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lexus300, Sep 26, 2020.

1. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

A must watch (for me) when it comes out.

LiamD, artboyusa and burajda like this.
  2. Sally006

Sally006 Lead commenter

This is an outstanding film. Hubby and I watched last year when it came out. Haunting, graphic, and at last allows the viewer to see what a horrific war this was. My grandfather somehow survived the Somme (I wouldn’t be here otherwise). A miracle. His brother didn’t survive Passchendaele. It is indeed a “must see” film.

cissy3 and lexus300 like this.
  3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

It's already been shown on BBC2, but currently not available on iPlayer.

It's unique and very moving - I particularly liked how they used lip-readers to dub voices onto the old footage.

cissy3, lexus300 and sbkrobson like this.
  4. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Lead commenter

It's brilliant. The voices are incredibly touching. I use clips of it with classes when we explore war poetry to encourage empathy.

lexus300 likes this.
  5. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Saw this when it was first shown. It’s excellent and quite haunting.
    I recommend the movie 1917 too

lexus300 and mothorchid like this.
  6. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

The original BBC2 documentary from the 60s is one of the best as there were interviews with many of those who had been in it, or alive at the time and in their 60s and 70s. It has been shown recently. PBS America are showing the Channel 4 Hew Strachan series of docs from 2002, which were also good. The digitised colourised pictures in than preview above are superb. I think I watched it before too, but don't remember the pictures being so amazing. Did anyone else notice the blast from that gun blowing tiles off the roof of the barn? No ear defenders or anything. I have not seen 1917, but it is on my list. I am fascinated about the Great War as I had both grandfathers in it, and great uncles, and know handed down stuff from them. "The Trench" is a good film of the period.

magic surf bus and lexus300 like this.
  7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Agreed.

And the Russell Crowe film "The Water Diviner".

stopwatch and lexus300 like this.
  8. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

My Grand Father also survived it but his brother was killed in his first battle in 1915.
    I lived with my Grand Father for his last few months when he was very ill, I got to know him and he spoke of that war only when asked. I can still see his eyes, they told the story without words being spoken.

9. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I did not realise it had already been released, when I started this, so thanks to all.

10. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Not heard of that one. I’ll look out for it.

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The Great War - possibly the only benefit of the Daily Mail's miserable existence is that they gave away the whole series of 26 episodes free in DVD format some years ago. Probably available on eBay if required.

Also check out Our World War which is still on iPlayer - the stand out episode for me was set in an early tank, a bit like a land-based version of Das Boot.

12. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Same here.

He would never talk about it.
    Every time I see old footage, I study all the soldiers' faces in case one of them is him. (Daft, I know)

13. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I can't bear to watch any of the footage of WW1. I watched the bbc series The Great War in my youth and recommend it to anyone who doesn't know much history. Myself, I don't think I could bear to eatch it again.

I get too angry and upset when I think of the terrible cruelty and waste