1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spontaneous vs objective-led planning

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by MrsMusgrove, Aug 18, 2016.

1. MrsMusgrove

MrsMusgrove New commenter

I've been looking into spontaneous planning (from reading Anna ephgrave) and objective-led planning (abcdoes).

I'm wondering what other people's experiences of these are?

I'm moving into a new EYFS role at my current school in Sept. The environment I'm going into is very adult-led. And from what I've seen, the environment and continuous provision needs work. It is very disorganised!

This is new for me so keen to hear others' experiences.

2. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

Hi Mrs M

I have read ABC and Anne E and found both useful and thought provoking. HOwever, I found OLP a bloody nightmare tbh whereas Anna's Planning in the moment, if you have skilled practitioners who know how to interact with children and good record keeping (ie, not to arduous), is a dream. The children love it and, with support and staff development, teachers and TAs can grow to love it. I have moved over to her ethos almost entirely and now have NO adult lead activities, no activities put out, the children access what they need themselves and the whole class has freeflow at the same time for at least an hour in the middle of the morning, usually more. I have stopped going to assembly (until Jan) and we only do lunchtime playtimes (once they are full time)- we now play through the first playtime in our own area rather than joining KS1. You do have to focus much more on continuous and enhanced provision and, at times, it can feel quite scary but my GLD remained as good as it was the year before when I did lots of adult input and daily guided writing and all of that pulling the children out of their play stuff. Now, I do none of it and everyone is happier. It really is incredible what can be taught through play if you can allow yourself to go with the moment. Good luck! I recommend a facebook page called KEYU for support and discussion.

3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Sounds good - can you post a link, as I can't find it, please? @dizzymai

4. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter