1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spontaneity has disappeared from life at the moment

Discussion in 'Personal' started by littlejackhorner, Jul 14, 2020.

1. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Occasional commenter

Is it just me or are others missing the opportunity to be spontaneous?

Pre Covid I could decide at a moment's notice to pop to the local shops. Now I have to make sure I have a mask, hand sanitiser and waterproof coat in case there's a queue and I have to stand outside and wait 15 minutes just to get a loaf of bread.

If I want to visit the city centre I have to make sure I don't drink coffee beforehand, otherwise I will need the toilet and they frequently close throughout the day for a deep clean.

I used to meet my friends regularly for coffee and it would often be at short notice, but now we have to look at the weather forecast and plan around that so we can sit outside.

I have a gym membership and I would go there if I woke up to dreadful weather. The gym is opening up soon but I will have to book a slot and that may well have to be several days in advance.

I do know that I am lucky in many ways and I probably shouldn't moan but I really am missing that previous aspect of my life.

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Women say that they want a man who is funny and spontaneous.

But if you knock on their bedroom window at midnight dressed in a clown costume then all of a sudden it is all screams and throwing things and police helicopters.

3. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Occasional commenter

@nomad are you giving away all your secrets?

4. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

I’d not thought about it in those terms. However, now you have articulated the level of forward planning and alertness (sorry) required for any trip outdoors I’ve realised that I too am missing spontaneity in my life.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

There will be women out there that would love this wooing approach.

They’ll be the same ones that correspond with locked up serial killers.

6. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I remember replying to a post that asked what we most missed in lockdown. Freedom, I replied.

That is still true. It's driving us bonkers. But compared to what people who lived through ww2 had to put up with, it's sweet fanny adams.

7. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Are you old enough to remember the Milk Tray ads?

Most of us will have experienced something that stopped up being spontaneous before. A baby? A second baby? Illness? The difference is that it now applies to everyone. If you were ill/waiting for surgery, you were already on a 'mini-lockdown', as in you were limited in what you could choose to do, but (in my lifetime) there's never been a time when almost everyone felt their 'normal' was on hold for more than a few weeks (extreme weather/terrorist atrocities). Now, as a lot of people are acting as if it's all over, in some ways it's harder.

8. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Do you do this often? :D

nomad and Jamvic like this.
  9. ilovesooty

John Wayne Gacey used to dress up in a clown costume...but that was to entertain children at parties.

agathamorse and nomad like this.
  10. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Yes. :(

agathamorse and nomad like this.
  11. ilovesooty

Me too.

agathamorse, nomad and Jamvic like this.
  12. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Totally agree. My OH was saying this earlier today. Some people are now making an asinine point of trying to stand quite close and start chatting while I’m out walking the dogs. I’m being quite blunt and ignoring all the usual British politeness rules to make it very clear that I’m still socially distancing and staying 2m apart wherever possible. I haven’t actually had to say ‘back off idiot’ yet but I’m quite prepared to do so.

13. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

I’m presuming, from context, that is the name of a serial killer?

14. ilovesooty

Sorry - yes it is. I've always thought clowns are a bit sinister.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  15. ilovesooty

Though to return to spontaneity, I must admit I hadn't thought too much about it before this thread, but it has got me thinking that it will be even harder to be spontaneous in the winter as the weather worsens.

16. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

I agree with the OP - I'm fortunate enough to be in a better climate where terraces are common, but even so it needs thinking about now more than before.
    As someone who enjoys eating out / having a coffee or beer alone, and who always has feelings of guilt about occupying a table for one person, that guilt will be magnified now! We will see as we settle into a new 'normal' whether terraces look empty enough for me to feel I can do that.

As for the gym, definitely not. I'm not convinced it's safe yet but more, the idea of not being able to go just when I feel like it and having to plan in advance means I'll stick to exercising at home for now.

Jamvic and littlejackhorner like this.
  17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

There is very little joy in life at present. Like everyone else I feel the need to prepare thoroughly before I go anywhere and I haven't been near the centre of town or gone on public transport for months. I am going to (finally) get my hair cut this morning - I'm not looking forward to all the faffing about that goes with it.

I also hate the fact (although I appreciate why) that virtually everything has to be booked in advance and it still feels like we are in a never- ending cycle of misery that is likely to last for a very long time. i do appreciate the fact that I haven't been furloughed and I still have a job to go to (sort of). I have been quite grateful to get into school and teach a bit although that has felt very unreal as well.

Not a particularly good time as present.

18. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I feel sorry for people living in large towns or cities. At least I have the country around me, and there are few police to bother anybody with the silly rules. In north Wales the fuzz are more into nicking traffic infringements (I still see the disguised camera van placed strategically, I know where all the nick nick fixed cameras are, and what stretches they sometimes put a car with a hand held, I doubt the effort is worth it now). While many people may be miffed about their personal freedoms being curtailed, and I think some of it is in their minds, there are many people (millions) who before Covid never spoke to a living soul all week, have never been sought by the "authorities" to see how they are getting on, have not featured on telly on some patronising advert with Ant and bloody Dec for a bank (which is in trouble and may even withdraw from the UK, such is how much they really care) or other TV piffle like the "opium of the masses" carp shown every morning and the nauseating One Show! I have not been hearing the usual stuff about dessicated corpses found in front of a telly that is still on, but maybe they are supprssing those stories in case it makes Bojo and Hat Mancock, and the rest of the government lurchers look worse (if that is possible).

sodalime and agathamorse like this.
  19. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

We're going away at the end of the month in the UK. I looked at tourist attractions yesterday. They all need booking, are all outside and I've no idea what the weather is going to be like, so didn't book anything. I'm now worried about timed slots running out. We like to do a weather check then decide what to do for the day. Not anymore!

agathamorse and littlejackhorner like this.
  20. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We've done lots of walks and bike rides in the last few months because all you need is the weather and a bike to do it. I was reading yesterday that the big museums in London are opening in August but to get an "entry slot" you have to book well in advance and at the end of your "slot" you must leave.

I love the Science and Natural History museums and I go every couple of years as a Summer treat. But to get there now I would have to get a Train, then the underground and then make sure I had my slot booked and then repeat it all on the way home.

No thanks.