1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sponsors for 11 schools run by the failed WCAT confirmed...but 10 more left in limbo

Discussion in 'Education news' started by PeterQuint, Jan 11, 2018.

1. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

2. PeterQuint

Looking at the previous news stories, the three in Wakefield where money had been siphoned off are not on the list of those confirmed.

According to the article Outwood Grange Academies Trust was due to take 8 of the remaining 10, and has so far taken none.

This makes it look very likely that it's Outwood Grange Academies Trust holding things up.

3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

I wonder what sweeteners have been offered...

4. PeterQuint

I know someone at one of the academies, and it looks like OGAT are asking for more sweeteners than the DfE are prepared to give at the moment.

I've heard a lot of the buildings are in poor shape. I've also heard at least one of the secondaries is a rival to OGAT's lead school and they don't want this rival to join their trust. The government ant it done and dusted, so OGAT may be saying they'll take none unless they get everything they want.

All of that may be rubbish/speculation, but clearly something is going on.

5. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Absolutely, it’s all about the sweeteners. An academy in my area managed to lose a million quid and the new academy willing to take it over needed a million quid to make changes to buildings. I presume they got what they needed because they took over the running of that academy.
    The point is all this stuff is all done behind closed doors. You might get to hear the headline amounts but do not get to hear the deals that are made and how much is written off with tax payer picking up the bill. If I remember correctly the National Audit Office have not been satisfied with DFE account for at least 2 years.

6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I know there are other factors involved, but it's worth noting that the Government, which has often seemed reluctant to maintain our assets when they were under LA control or independent academies is now being forced to shell out before trusts will take responsibility.
    This was probably not part of their game plan.;)

PeterQuint likes this.