1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sponsoring academies

Discussion in 'Education news' started by monicabilongame, Nov 7, 2015.

1. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

BBC news (can't provide link as on Kindle) -Local Government Authorities are calling for high performing council schools to be able to sponsor failing academies.

44 out of the 100 LGAs exceeded expectations compared to 3 out of 20 academy chains (44% : 15%).

LGA schools doing better than academies.

Ha ha hahahahahaha.........

fineliner and drek like this.
  2. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Government response to calls for LA schools to be able to sponsor/support struggling academies? 'They can if they turn into academies first'.

Not just about ideology, then...

monicabilongame likes this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

They quote a bloke from SSAT... the SSAT website looks eerily like the TES website.

Anyway, really, what does the LGA think it's doing, offering such sensible and logical suggestions... Academies are great and amazing and poo to anyone who disagrees... *bangs head on soft things*

monicabilongame likes this.
  5. Bajan-night

Bajan-night Occasional commenter

You can't make this stuff up.

6. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

I'm not quite so sure this is sensible. I might be missing something here, but what's in it for the LGA schools? Are they going to get more money or resources as a result?

Of course, the response from the government is inevitable. This is an idealogical war after all.

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

@irs1054
    TBH I'm not sure it's sensible at all for any schools. I made a point elsewhere about being in a school that was supported. Staff came from the other school to help us. But it got them nowhere really, no extra money or free timetable space.

And the schools were massively different. One underperforming low ability [mine] the other high achieving. It was damaging for the confidence of staff from the high school to come to us. It just showed up the myth they'd crafted in their minds that they were great teachers because their pupils were great.

8. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Absolutely, I'm just glad I'm out of it. Just trying to find other ways of earning a bit of extra dosh.

lanokia likes this.
  9. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Agreed.

A few years ago my school was being supported by another nearby to become an academy, then Ofsted visited both and ours got a better inspection, so that idea was dropped. There had been some teachers from the other school come round looking rather bewildered as to what they were supposed to do, no-one had a clue on either side really.

There are two secondary schools in my nearest town, for several decades one has done well and the other hasn't in terms of no. of kids and no. of qualifications. The one that has done well serves the better part of town, the other serves the poorer part of town (whodathunkit!?). Some years ago the more "successful" one took over the other as it had gone into SM. Ever since then it has bounced in and out of SM and RI, teachers swapped and the usual management types who don't teach giving their pearls of wisdom. It is pretty much exactly the same school today that it was about 30 years ago, although lots of HT's have come and gone sometimes in rapid succession and its name has changed twice. All academization does for some schools is to decide who makes money from them and to supply headlines to those hoping to make political capital from the situation.

The school gets in the news every few years when the statistical gods give them a good year, then it dips and no-one mentions it again until they are back on the same upward wave a few years on.

Flere-Imsaho likes this.
  10. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

We're we at the same place?